Thread: Oracle vs mySQL

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What's the deal? I'm not necessarily asking about Oracle, but all the big db makers. Informix, Sybase, etc. What, besides deep pockets, would facilitate buying their hard/software?

I'm starting a banner-ad network and I'm trying to make sense of it all. I'm sure we canuse mySQL to start, but will there eventually be a need for an $800,000 piece of db hardware/software?
  3. No Profile Picture

I work on Oracle, Access and MySql in a commercial enviroment and from my experience large companies tend to go for a well known supplier that will charge them a huge annual fee for support and licences. This gives them a warm feeling of security and someone to blame when things fail!

For what you are going to do MySQL will be more than capable.
    If you want more information on database design check this out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../reldesign.asp

Although this pages talk about Access the principles of design are the same for most relational DBs.

Andy J.

[This message has been edited by eaamj01 (edited October 11, 2000).]
  5. No Profile Picture

I have to say that the biggest thing is what you NEED. That will really determine the platform and DBMS that you'll be looking into. Of course manageability, security, user friendlyness, learning curves and last but definetly not least cost. The preempt to this is a detailed and accurate assessment of where you are and want to be in terms of data management.

Ok, now who knows? Well, there are people out there that can help assess the environment of the data and growth potential. I agree that MySQL will suffice and the great thing is if you or whoever is managing this thing keeps documentation and such a trasition to a more appropriate DBMS will not be unreasonable.

So there you the most political answer I could give. Well, I think that if you're a Win32 guy (or Windows user) then I think Access allows for a more user friendly environment. A question for eaamj01 is can Access be integrated with web work? I know of the program in a more traditional DBMS where users access it from within its own environment but I've been seeing requests for Web integration, sooo, what do you think eaamj01?

7. No Profile Picture

Thanx for all the input!
  9. No Profile Picture

I have been admining server where the owner ran ad network with mysql. On the beginning it was great, but as the network grew, the server went slower and mysql eat more resources. We ended up getting a one more new server, because on singe one mysql took up about 128 megs of ram and was the speed of mysql went way down.

I think some advantages with databases like oracle is that they can process way more queries than *sql databases but they eat less resources.

In addition, you might try pgSQL for your network, I generally found that it takes up less resources for certain things. Then compare which DB takes more resources/space/speed and get the one that as the best results.
  11. No Profile Picture

One more comment, you might try Borland's InterBase, it has been opensources and I hear it has very good performance.
  13. No Profile Picture

Stay away of Access. It's a very poor performer, a lot of troubles with volume access and is using different SQL syntaxes when you work in the Access interface and when you work through an ODBC connection to an Access database.
  15. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C:
    So there you the most political answer I could give. Well, I think that if you're a Win32 guy (or Windows user) then I think Access allows for a more user friendly environment. A question for eaamj01 is can Access be integrated with web work? I know of the program in a more traditional DBMS where users access it from within its own environment but I've been seeing requests for Web integration, sooo, what do you think eaamj01?

[/quote]
    Here is an example of mixing Access PHP and MySQL

I personally use access as a tool to design database for the web as it is a very fast GUI based system for DB design. The structure and base data can be exported to a MySQL dump file at the touch of a button.

I have a client who wanted an accounts package for a car showroom at the time he wasn't interested in the internet.So developed an Access application that consisted of two parts, the client (client.mde) which links to tables stored on a shared PC (data.mde).
    The client now wants to be able to put vehicles in stock on to the web. If I migrate the stock tables to the web (mySql database. The Access Client can update them via ODBC and linked versions of the tables. The accounting tables remain on the office server in an Access DB so they are completely isolated from the outside world.
    The only sensible option for me to design the online showroom interface is PHP.

The thing to remember is that you have to have a licensed developer version of Access to be able to distribute a runtime version of the application.
    PHP MySQL is one of the cheapest and easiest ways for developing for the web. MsAccess is an excellent tool for learning DB design with
    Andy J

[This message has been edited by eaamj01 (edited October 17, 2000).]
  17. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mayo:

I think some advantages with databases like oracle is that they can process way more queries than *sql databases but they eat less resources.

[/quote]

The thing to remember is that when you design a database it needs to be scalable. Oracle will run dog slow if the design isn't quite right. I don't know the circumstances of or design of the above example but the most important thing to consider whether using Access MySQL Oracle or any relation DB is that design is the key element.

The first most important thing to do in design is data normalisation and then consider indexes, two many could be as bad as to few. There is a hell of a lot more to DB design than creating tables, that's why people make a whole career out of it.

Andy J
  19. No Profile Picture

Here is a pretty good page that lists a bunch of database design tutorials and links:
    http://www.searchdatabase.com/search...283234,00.html

Good luck!

~sparky