Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Backwards Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by MonP
    I'd like to know how should I store the finished time when appointment is done and the stamped time where the user set up his/her appointment (basically, when did the user inserted his appointment)
    That's just a third time to store. Now you'll have when the appointment was created (new), when the appointment is scheduled for (required), and when the appointment was resolved (optional, set if the appointment is kept).

Originally Posted by MonP
    Also, I'd like to know some basic rules about designing my database structure about this project (if there's still any). Since the two rules really helped me a lot (thanks to you sir!) to work on this project more flexible.
    Basic rules, huh? It's much easier for me to point out things not to do, and you're doing fine.

Uh... Don't store multiple pieces of data in one field, don't delete data and in fact store as much as you can get your hands on even if you're not sure you need it, avoid having fields that will be null for much of the data (it's a waste of table space if you aren't using it) unless you expect it to be set later (like you would with an appointment finish time), learn about normalization and indexing, use foreign key constraints...

Those are the most common issues I see when software developers start working with databases.

Comments on this post

• MonP agrees
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you so much for helping me on my project!
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo