1. No Profile Picture
    WannaKnow
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    Is there a way to include PHP3-functions or -procedures in a MYSQL-UPDATE-statement?
  3. No Profile Picture
    rod k
    Yes, sort of. How depends on what you are trying to do. (hint, hint)
  5. No Profile Picture
    It is fine if you wanted to do something like this:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">code:</font><HR><pre>
    <?
    mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE id='".customPhpFunction($var)."'");
    ?>
    [/quote]

What exactly where you trying to do?
  7. No Profile Picture
    WannaKnow
    Thank you for your quick reply. Ok, here are some more details: I want to update all records in a table at the same time with an update-statement, which should look like this:

------------

UPDATE tableName SET field_1=myPHPfunction('$field_1')";
    ======

MyLib.php3:
    function myPHPfunction($field_1)
    {
    $field_1 = [... for example: several different commands to convert special characters ...]

return $field_1;
    }

------------

Although the PHP3 manual states that UDFs must be written in C or C++ and the opereating system must support dynamic loading (under point 14.1) I hope there is a way to realize a.m. example. I know from other programming languages as FoxPro for Windows that you can include „foreign“ functions into an SQL-statement. I tried above UPDATE statement in several different ways but it didn’t work.
  9. No Profile Picture
    rod k
    UDF's need to be in C, but you can include functions written in php in your script directly or by including or requiring an external file. UDF's become a part of the language itself.

I just reread your post. Are you trying to have a query read the field and modify it based on that read?

That can't be done with one query. That's a limitation of MySQL, not PHP. Sorry.

Just a note: The latest versions of MySQL DO allow INSERT ... SELECT statements. Unfortunatly, the table(s) referenced in the INSERT cannot appear in the SELECT. I don't believe any SQL engine allows what you are trying to do.

Why not just use two queries? Select, modify, update.

Rod

11. No Profile Picture
    WannaKnow
    Select, modify, update – that’s what I did now. Nevertheless, thanks for your help.