1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Question on building a join query

Hi there,

I'm writing to ask for your help on how to build a join query... (at least that's what I think I need to do...) I've read a bunch of tutorials on the subject over the years, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. I was hoping you could help. Here's what I'm trying to do...

I have two tables that look like this:

TABLE: inspections

inspection_id (this is the auto incrementing row_id)
    account_id
    technician_id
    inspector_id
    supervisor_id
    manager_id
    etc.

TABLE: inspections_dates

inspection_id (this links to the inspection_id of the inspections table; this one is not auto incrementing)
    date_service
    date_inspection
    date_flagged
    etc.

I need to be able to pull records from the inspections table based on their dates from the second table. Sometimes I also need to filter them by other fields in the main table. So it could be one of the following three (the first is easy for me, of course):

1. SELECT * FROM inspections WHERE account_id = '123456'

2. SELECT * FROM inspections WHERE account_id = '123456' AND date_service <= '2004-01-01'

3. SELECT * FROM inspections WHERE date_service <= '2004-01-01'

The problem is...I don't know how to reference the date_service in a query like that. Plus it has to somehow know that the inspection_id is the same in both fields, so I can pull just one array using PHP...

Can you help? Thanks in advance!

Robert Samuel
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, I finally figured it out...

SELECT * FROM inspections INNER JOIN inspections_dates ON inspections.inspection_id = inspections_dates.inspection_id WHERE inspections_dates.date_service <= '2004-01-01'

Hopefully this post will help someone else out in the future...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo