1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is there a way of re-create all tables and fields in an Access2000 db into mySQL with all tables and fieldnames intact automatically??

Need help badly ....

PatrikB

3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You can export the tables as .CSV files, and and then import them into MySQL, but it is not an easy 'automatic' process. You might be able to write a shell script to take all .CSV files and read them at once.

I think your best bet, though is to use ODBC. MySQL can be connected through an add-on called MyODBC (available at www.mysql.com)

Then, all you would do is create a blank database as an ODBC connection to MySQL, and import your tables from your other Access database. From then on, you would work in the ODBC version of your database as if it was on your workstation. This means that as you work with Access, the database on your server is automatically updated constantly.

Be careful, this has its pros and cons. Always work on a development version of your database first, before backing-up and renaming the database to be your main one. (I know this is obvious, but I have seen many make this mistake.)

Also, MySQL will not necessarily support all of the column types available in Access, such as "Money". You will need to learn the MySQL column types and work with Access accordingly.