1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Restoring InnoDB data

I could really use some help here. I have the contents of a database from a server that died, and I need to restore it on our new server. I have the following files from the old mysql folder:

ib_arch_log_000000000
    ib_logfile0
    ib_logfile1
    ib_data1

as well as the files in the sub mysql/ folder:

columns_priv.MYD
    columns_priv.frm
    columns_priv.MYI
    db.MYI
    db.MYD
    db.frm
    func.MYI
    func.MYD
    func.frm
    host.MYI
    host.MYD
    host.frm
    tables_priv.MYD
    tables_priv.MYI
    tables_priv.frm
    user.MYD
    user.MYI
    user.frm

I tried transferring the ib_ files to the new mysql folder, and nothing seems to break. However, when I transfer any of the .MYI,.MYD, or .frm files then mysql refuses to start up properly. The old db was MySQL 4, and the new one is MySQL 5 - is it possible to restore 4 data to 5?

If anyone could give me tips on what exactly to do to get things working it would be much appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

Looks like you took the files from the MySQL folder for MySQL4 and trying to start under MySQL5.

Have you tried to do a mysql_upgrade 1st?

Originally Posted by fffggghhh9
    I could really use some help here. I have the contents of a database from a server that died, and I need to restore it on our new server. I have the following files from the old mysql folder:

ib_arch_log_000000000
    ib_logfile0
    ib_logfile1
    ib_data1

as well as the files in the sub mysql/ folder:

columns_priv.MYD
    columns_priv.frm
    columns_priv.MYI
    db.MYI
    db.MYD
    db.frm
    func.MYI
    func.MYD
    func.frm
    host.MYI
    host.MYD
    host.frm
    tables_priv.MYD
    tables_priv.MYI
    tables_priv.frm
    user.MYD
    user.MYI
    user.frm

I tried transferring the ib_ files to the new mysql folder, and nothing seems to break. However, when I transfer any of the .MYI,.MYD, or .frm files then mysql refuses to start up properly. The old db was MySQL 4, and the new one is MySQL 5 - is it possible to restore 4 data to 5?

If anyone could give me tips on what exactly to do to get things working it would be much appreciated.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by anothermysqldba
    Looks like you took the files from the MySQL folder for MySQL4 and trying to start under MySQL5.

Have you tried to do a mysql_upgrade 1st?
    It doesn't work because I can't connect to the db after I transfer those mysql4 files. I just get an error when I try to connect:

mysqld from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid ended

Or if I just use the mysql_upgrade command I get "can't connect to local MySQL server through socket...". When I move the data I need to recover to the mysql folder, running mysql doesn't work.

In a nutshell, I really need to know how to recover MySQL 4 data when all I have are the files I listed above.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I would suggest installing wampserver and the mysql 4.1 add-on and use that to export your data out of the mysql4 format and import it into mysql5 and see if it works.
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry guys, I'm an idiot. It turns out I was using data from the wrong mysql folder. On our old server it was installed somewhere else, and it includes [database name] folders in addition to the ibdata files and /mysql contents. So this time all I did was copy the ibdata files and the [database name] folders and not the /mysql folder contents, started mysql, and it works! I am able to grab the data just fine. Thanks for your help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo