1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello all, My isp has set up a database for me. My question is I don't know how to access it? Do I need to download MYSQL to my machine create the table and port them over or do I do that on there end? I have never tried this so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You need to do it via telnet on your server (or possibly some web based MySQL admin interface, but lets pretend that doesn't exist for now). Log in to your shell and type:
    mysql
    This may (or may not) present you with the prompt:
    mysql>
    If not, then you'll probably be spooled a little error message saying something about usernames and passwords. In that case, try the following:
    mysql -uusername -ppassword
    username should be the username you've been assigned for the DB (or your ISP username if you don't have a DB username) and password should be your DB password (or ISP password if you don't have a DB one).

At this point you should have that mysql> prompt available to you and you can go on your merry way playing with your database using all the normal SQL commands. Check out http://www.mysql.com/ and look in the docs area to get loads of info about how to interact with the DB.