Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by angusy
    Is it even possible to link algorithm in filter_params to algorithm in system_params via foreign keys?
    i don't think so -- i think you'd want to link to the algorithm_params table instead

but then, i don't really understand your data
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by r937
    i don't think so -- i think you'd want to link to the algorithm_params table instead

but then, i don't really understand your data
    Pretty much the idea is a PC is selected along with the CPU type and algorithm. CPU will grab the CPU attributes and alogorithm will grab
    the algorithm parameters. The algorithm is also associated with a set of filter coefficients which represent tap delays (DSP filter theory).
    These taps are just floating point numbers which are in an MxN matrix, but in my case just stored in 2-columns: column 1 is the algorithm
    and column 2 is the coefficient (oustide knowledge is required to know how the MxN matrix is transposed into a single column for proper
    lookup). Since column 1 has the algorithm name repeated many times and the coefficient isn't guaranteed to be unique, I'm not sure that
    any type of key can be assigned to the columns in filter_params table. Ex.if MxN matrix was 2x2 than it would like something like this:

filter_params

custom_1, 0.12345
    custom_1, 2.34553
    custom_1, 2.49492
    custom_1, 0.12345
    custom_2, 1.23030
    custom_2, 2.39392
    custom_2, 3.23393
    custom_2, 3.22393

But somehow, I've got to link the filter_params algorithm values back to algorithm in system_params, so that the correct set of filter
    coefficients are referenced.

When you say "i think you'd want to link to the algorithm_params table instead", what method or type of method are you referring to?

Thx.
  5. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by angusy
    When you say "i think you'd want to link to the algorithm_params table instead", what method or type of method are you referring to?
    i'm referring to foreign keys -- the only method we'[ve discussed in the entire thread

the purpose of foreign keys is to implement relational integrity

in other words, the foreign keys (child tables) are allowed to have only those values found in the referenced primary keys (parent tables)

as far as referencing filter_params algorithm values back to algorithm in system_params, i just don't understand your data, sorry
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by r937
    i'm referring to foreign keys -- the only method we'[ve discussed in the entire thread

the purpose of foreign keys is to implement relational integrity

in other words, the foreign keys (child tables) are allowed to have only those values found in the referenced primary keys (parent tables)

as far as referencing filter_params algorithm values back to algorithm in system_params, i just don't understand your data, sorry
    Thanks again for all of your help.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo