1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unlike Access...mySQL's server needs?

Hello all...
    We're on a win2k server with our webhost. I've just uploaded the .asp files to a new folder...and now I'm stuck.

Unlike Access, where I know what to do, how do I upload my mySQL dbase to the server? I know that the host does support mySQL, but what do I have to do to get my files to work?

Jim
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Best bet is IMHO phpMyAdmin. Works for windows and linux.

It allows you to dump the database to a text file easily and upload it to another (or the same) host then.

If your host has php support, just get the zip file, unzip it to a folder in your Document Root and edit the config.inc.php file.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

WHOA...is that greek?

Um....I'm not a php guy, I'm a MS guy therefore I use ASP...

So you're nice reply -- well, it's all greek to me.

What I'd like to know is, do I just upload the folder holding the dbase I created to my webhost, and he'll put it where it needs to go for my ASP files to find it? (what about paths etc.?)

Jim
  7. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

You need shell (telnet/ssh) and ftp access to pull this off, unless your ISP has other methods of doing this (you might wanna contact them), or if there's an equivalent to phpmyadmin for asp (which I don't know).

First dump the local database to a file by using mysqldump. -> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysqldump.html
    Then transfer this file with ftp to your ISP.
    Use ssh or telnet (hint: use putty) to log on to your ISP remotely.
    Then run mysqlimport or simply pipe the file contents to the mysql client to insert them into a database at your ISP's.

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo