1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Newer versions of MySQL keeps dbs open?

Hi folks,

I'm on a shared server, and when I requested that my host upgrade the version of MySQL to a current version, they replied with the following:

Hello,
    We really want to do that, but we can't, There is a major compatibility problem in new version of MySQL, It seems MySQL used to close databases once a script crashes or end without calling proper routine to close the database. But in new version database will be remain open and that cause tables to be corrupt. That's why we have to stay with old version of MySQL to have stable servers.
    Is there any truth to this? I mean, it may be happening to my host, but is this something faced by other people. I don't know enough to know if this is due to my host's ineptitude, or MySQL growing pains.

If not, what, in your opinion, would be next step in rectifying this situation. Though I fully understand that without complete server information, this is a dumb question to ask--so I apologize.

Thank you all,

Rahul
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I seriously doubt that's the case. What OS are you on? Ask them to provide you some documentation or news articles about this. They'll probably blow you off, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

---John Holmes...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo