1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am totally new to mySQL. So some expert advice would be a god send.

I have just developed a web site that uses
    ASP pages to connect to an Access database via a DNS-less ADO connection. Now I find out that although my ISP supports ASP they do not support Access databases directly but use this thing called mySQL??.

I want the owner of the web site to just be able to modify and upload a database to the web site.

My problem is that I have not got a clue as to how to go about this using mySQL.

Do I need to convert my Access database to a mySQL format or can mySQL interface directly with such a database?

If I do need to convert my database...how do I do it? Also how does the web site owner then easily modify the contents of this database (in a nice easy interface such as Access)?

How do I connect to the databse on my ASP page (I understand I need to use ODBC??)?

So many questions and so little time!!

Any pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

If you got this far then thanks for reading!

Regards

Steve Wiggins
  3. .Net Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

<<
    Now I find out that although my ISP supports ASP they do not support Access databases
    directly but use this thing called mySQL??.
    >>

since your ISP has mysql installed then you don't have to worry.

you can transfer data from your msaccess database to mysql.you can find out the details from this forum searching "data transfer from msaccess to mysql".

i think ODBCconnectivity would be very easy with Mysql.Your ISP must have installed proper drivers.
    i haven't used mysql with asp.so i can't say too much.

------------------
    SR -
    shiju.dreamcenter.net

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge..."
  5. No Profile Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Wiggins:
    I am totally new to mySQL. So some expert advice would be a god send.

I have just developed a web site that uses
    ASP pages to connect to an Access database via a DNS-less ADO connection. Now I find out that although my ISP supports ASP they do not support Access databases directly but use this thing called mySQL??.

I want the owner of the web site to just be able to modify and upload a database to the web site.

My problem is that I have not got a clue as to how to go about this using mySQL.

Do I need to convert my Access database to a mySQL format or can mySQL interface directly with such a database?

If I do need to convert my database...how do I do it? Also how does the web site owner then easily modify the contents of this database (in a nice easy interface such as Access)?

How do I connect to the databse on my ASP page (I understand I need to use ODBC??)?

So many questions and so little time!!

Any pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

If you got this far then thanks for reading!

Regards

Steve Wiggins
    [/quote]

I am also new to this and just about in the same position as you except that I am using a Unix server. From what I understand so far is that we cannot connect directly to our MySql but have to export to our web server our database in .txt then import via MySql. I am sure there must be an easier way. As for connecting your web pages to MySql, I am unable to help you since I use a unix server and use Perl in the CGI folder. (PS - If it sounds like I know what I am talking about, your wrong. I am also in your position becuase although I can connect to my database via Telnet, I am still unable to figure out how to connect to MySql via Perl or any other fashion. I know that this is not much help but to tell you you are not alone. I hope someone else can help us. Keep me posted.)

------------------
    Robert Zimmerman
    AMPM Transport
  7. No Profile Picture
    BrainFreeze

I use PHP and MySQL, very easy to connect. I use a web based admin tool to control my MySQL database called PHPmyAdmin, go to www.mysql.com and get all the info there. I am surprised the hosting company uses Mysql with ASP bu find a nice web interface and things hsould be a little clearer. You can also port access to SQL Dump, and then upload this into the admin tool on the web and the tables will be replicated.