1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've installed MySQL v3.22.32 (binary)on my Suse 6.4 system. I followed the steps in the INSTALL file:

1. Unpak (Gunzip @ Tar)
    2. Some change dir stuff
    3. Scripts/mysql_install_db
    4. bin/safe_mysqld &

The MySQL server is now up and running (I checked it with a php3 file which can connect with the MySQL server (but gets a error message in return)(when I turn the MySQL server off the php3 file gives that he can't connect at all)).

The PROBLEM is that I can't access the server. For example when I type: 'shell#mysql -u root test' I get the error message: Error 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (using password:0)

When a php3 file tries to connect to the Server (user=root) it gives the error message the user isn't alowed to.

I started the Server with save_mysqld --skip-grant & and then everything works out fine. I can connect to the server and chance the database.

I tried to add some users but that didn't work out. I read in a FQA that I should look for a file named 'user.ISD' but that file doesn't exists.

The ./bin/mysqlaccess script doesn't work too. When I try to start it, it gives the error that the script doesn't exists.

Who can help me out?

Thanks in advance and greetings

Wytse
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

it sounds like no users have been granted access on your server. did you set a root password? if so then you need to add the "-p" switch when connecting with "mysql -u root -p".

otherwise i would be inclined to check out the mysql documentation part 6 (access privelage system) and in particular part 6.13 (common causes of access denied)

HTH
    marty