1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi everyone

Is there any limit for tables in a database and number of fields in a table.

TA
    Raghu.
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's a limit on total database size, 2+ gigabytes, depending on your operating system.

I don't remember reading anything about limitations on tables or fields, though.

Read through the manual...it's your best bet.

---JH

------------------
    * The manual can probably answer 90% of your questions...
    * PHP Manual. www.php.net/manual
    * MySQL Manual: www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Actually, the default MySQL table size limit for version 3.22.x is 4 GB, but the OS/hardware in question can limit that to 2 GB. 64-bit hardware (Alpha, Sun) can take care of that problem right away.

MySQL 3.23.x Beta has support for tables up to the maximum size of a 64-bit filesystem (about 8 terabytes).

For what it's worth: PostgreSQL has an unlimited table size even on 32-bit hardware.
  7. No Profile Picture

I have a large 223Mb .dmp file that I'm trying to import but I'm having no luck. The symptoms are that the server is just hanging at about 20 tables and gives no error as to what is causing this "hang". I just wonder if the file is too large or if there's "specific" syntax that I'm not using. I'm using: mysql -u root -p DATABASENAME < FILENAME.dmp; Thx.
  9. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!!!

Now that I've got that out of the way, I wouldn't think there would be a restriction on the dump file size. Maybe you could divide it up into smaller parts and see if it works better. Seems like that would be a big hassle, though.

Are you sure it's really hanging and not just taking a loooooong time to execute?? How long did you give it to complete??

Try searching through the manual to see if there are any comments about dump file sizes....

---John Holmes

------------------
    * The manual can probably answer 90% of your questions...
    * PHP Manual. www.php.net/manual
    * MySQL Manual: www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter
  11. No Profile Picture

Well, I did it again...and it takes about 2hours to get done. I watch the "top" stats until MySQL drops off or goes down to .05% CPU usage. My biggest problem is that the database that was given to me needs to be imported at which time I'm trying to write scripts to massage data. Now since it didn't "seem" like it was done I tried to open it in MSWord (since it is only in text format) I got 32,000 pages through and saw an extra table that I know is supposed to be in there and so that's why I know it's not really a complete import. I tried reading about sizes and I haven't seen anything. I was thinking of dumping portions at a time but I think my only option is to dump each table or the whole thing, right? Well I REALLY appreciate you responding.

Hehe,I suck at MySQL and keep hoping every time I open it up that it acts like Oracle, but to my dismay there's actual leg work. It's free and great for what it's doing now so I'm happy with it, well I will be if I can get this thing imported correctly.

C
  13. No Profile Picture

BTW do happen to know what I could use as a reader for a .dmp file of that size? (223MB) I tried MSWord, WordPad, Notepad, and UltraEdit of which couldn't handle it. Thx again.

Ç
  15. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

UltraEdit should have no problem handling a file much bigger than that, if you just change some settings:

On the toolbar, open Advanced -> Configuration, and go to the 'General' tab. At the top right, check 'Disable line number' and/or 'Open file without Temp file'.

Before you open your text file, though, be sure you have a backup, because without a Temp file, edits will be applied instantly.