1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Okay, most of my site's content is automatically generated from a couple mySQL queries each time someone loads the page. Does this put a lot of strain on the server?

Would it help if I had it generate the data into a text file each time I modify the database? So, each time it loads it just loads up the text file instead of querying the database.

------------------
    sonic junkie
  3. No Profile Picture

it depends on how much visitors you're expecting. i'm running a site with about 2500 unique visitors a day (200000 file requests a day) and every single page is generated with 5-25 queries. we're on a virtual server with i think 50 others sites, the pages load fast and we haven't got any complaints about server load or database usage from our provider.
    so i guess it won't be any problem

[This message has been edited by snq (edited October 25, 2000).]
  5. No Profile Picture

Okay thanks. My site doesn't get anywhere near that much traffic. But it's helpful to know that I can use several queries on each page without worries.

------------------
    sonic junkie
  7. No Profile Picture

That's interesting snq because I'm running a site with similar stats (though a bit higher) and it slows to a crawl during peak times but blazes in offtimes.

We're running off a server farm with a few others sites so I'm not sure what could be the problem.
  9. No Profile Picture

omen,
    our provider has a dedicated mysql server, so the server load is kind of split, maybe that might be it? the last couple of days there's a noticable delay (like maybe one sec) in every page tho, but that's probably because they host almost 30000 domains in total -> they need an extra mysql server
    we're thinking of getting our own dedicated server tho, since we have almost 40gig traffic/month now, and we are allowed to have 30
    anyway, i think we're pushing the limit now with our site, we've been growing quite fast lately.. the site i'm talking about here is www.gizmozone.com..