1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've just started working with MySQL. It automatically indexes my tables on every column within a day after I create them. The timestamp on the files (4 am) suggests they may be impacted by a daily cron job on my Redhat 6.2 system -- yet I can't find any automated tasks besides logrotate that would be the cause. Can someone tell me whether it's mysqladmin or the daemon itself that is doing this automated "repair", and how to stop it?

For example, I created the table below, defining a single primary key. The next time I opened the database I had all of these additional indexes shown below by mysqldump. This has happened several times with MySQL 3.22 and 3.23 RPM's and every table I create is "infected" like this within a day.

CREATE TABLE account (
    acct_id mediumint(8) unsigned zerofill DEFAULT '00000000' NOT NULL, login varchar(15) DEFAULT '' NOT
    NULL,
    pwd_enc varchar(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
    bus_name varchar(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
    date_opened date DEFAULT '0000-00-00' NOT NULL,
    allow_oth char(1) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (acct_id),
    KEY acct_id (acct_id),
    UNIQUE acct_id_2 (acct_id),
    KEY login (login),
    UNIQUE login_2 (login),
    KEY pwd_enc (pwd_enc),
    UNIQUE pwd_enc_2 (pwd_enc),
    KEY bus_name (bus_name),
    UNIQUE bus_name_2 (bus_name),
    KEY date_opened (date_opened),
    UNIQUE date_opened_2 (date_opened),
    KEY allow_oth (allow_oth),
    UNIQUE allow_oth_2 (allow_oth),
    KEY acct_id_3 (acct_id),
    UNIQUE acct_id_4 (acct_id),
    KEY login_3 (login)
    );
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Replying to my own post: I finally tracked it down. I'm running htDig search engine on Apache. The daily cron job culprit was htDig's index update program (htdig-dbgen), which was running PHP scripts in a phpMyAdmin subdirectory hundreds of times using combinations of parameters to generate dynamic pages for its own indexes. Some of those scripts resulted in the additional keys that I mistakenly thought were being produced by one of MySQL's utilities. I changed the exclude_urls line in htdig.conf to exclude .php files from indexing, and now it leaves my indexes alone.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by psaletan:
    I've just started working with MySQL. It automatically indexes my tables on every column within a day after I create them. The timestamp on the files (4 am) suggests they may be impacted by a daily cron job on my Redhat 6.2 system -- yet I can't find any automated tasks besides logrotate that would be the cause. Can someone tell me whether it's mysqladmin or the daemon itself that is doing this automated "repair", and how to stop it?

For example, I created the table below, defining a single primary key. The next time I opened the database I had all of these additional indexes shown below by mysqldump. This has happened several times with MySQL 3.22 and 3.23 RPM's and every table I create is "infected" like this within a day.

CREATE TABLE account (
    acct_id mediumint(8) unsigned zerofill DEFAULT '00000000' NOT NULL, login varchar(15) DEFAULT '' NOT
    NULL,
    pwd_enc varchar(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
    bus_name varchar(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
    date_opened date DEFAULT '0000-00-00' NOT NULL,
    allow_oth char(1) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (acct_id),
    KEY acct_id (acct_id),
    UNIQUE acct_id_2 (acct_id),
    KEY login (login),
    UNIQUE login_2 (login),
    KEY pwd_enc (pwd_enc),
    UNIQUE pwd_enc_2 (pwd_enc),