1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do you create a database?

I've tried researching this on my own and searching the forums but I haven't had much luck. Another newbie question incoming...

I'd like to tinker around with using the Wordpress CMS but to do that, I need a database. I've never made a database on a server before so I'm rather lost. I have MAMP installed, phpMyAdmin open...but no clue what I am doing.

How do I get a database up on my server that I can hook up to Wordpress?
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

in phpmyadmin, go to the SQL tab, and type in the following statement --
    Code:
    CREATE DATABASE humpty;
    execute this and then see what happens
    r937.com | rudy.ca
    please visit Simply SQL and buy my book
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by r937
    in phpmyadmin, go to the SQL tab, and type in the following statement --
    Code:
    CREATE DATABASE humpty;
    execute this and then see what happens
    This is probably gonna be an equally silly question but...where is it? If I wanted to use humpty (haha) to setup a Wordpress site, how would I do that? I think they need the db name, username, password, and host name?

EDIT: Would I just find it on my computer and put it onto the server in a particular location in the wordpress folder? =/
  7. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Bitrush
    This is probably gonna be an equally silly question but...where is it?
    if that statement i gave you worked successfully, then that database is now on your server, and phpmyadmin should be able to find it

sorry, i don't use phpmyadmin, so i'm not sure which view or panel you should refresh
    r937.com | rudy.ca
    please visit Simply SQL and buy my book
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by r937
    if that statement i gave you worked successfully, then that database is now on your server, and phpmyadmin should be able to find it

sorry, i don't use phpmyadmin, so i'm not sure which view or panel you should refresh
    See, the problem is I'm not sure what server that is... I thought I was supposed to put it on like the school server (the only server I have) so I was experimenting with filling in the Wordpress info to see if anything would work but I'm lost. I didn't put in any info when I downloaded and installed MAMP so I'm not sure where it is sticking stuff besides on my computer. I have, to the best of my knowledge, no user name and no password. =/

Really, all I need is the simplest way to put a database on my server so I can check out Wordpress...it feels like this should be simpler or like I'm missing something painfully obvious...
  11. No Profile Picture
    competitions at lottos.com.au

Originally Posted by Bitrush
    See, the problem is I'm not sure what server that is... I thought I was supposed to put it on like the school server (the only server I have) so I was experimenting with filling in the Wordpress info to see if anything would work but I'm lost. I didn't put in any info when I downloaded and installed MAMP so I'm not sure where it is sticking stuff besides on my computer. I have, to the best of my knowledge, no user name and no password. =/

Really, all I need is the simplest way to put a database on my server so I can check out Wordpress...it feels like this should be simpler or like I'm missing something painfully obvious...
    If you are wanting to put Wordpress on the school server so it's available for all on the Internet, the first step is to find out if MySQL is available for you to use on that server. If it isn't, then you need to find another server. Plenty of free hosts to use in that case.

The easiest way is to use a host that uses a web panel like cPanel. Then you can easily name and create a database and then create a database user and password. After that you edit the wp-config.php file to include the database name, user name and password along with the hostname (usually 'localhost'). Re-upload the config file to the server and run the install for Wordpress.
    Best website for competitions online to win anything and everything.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo