1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A problem(installing mysql) from a new learner

I tried to install mysql on my ubuntu system. Without help i have huge difficulty completing it. I have been following the instructions from the manual of mysql official website: Installing MySQL on Unix/Linux Using Generic Binaries. I can't post url here but it can be easily searched.(just search "2.2.Installing MySQL on Unix/Linux Using Generic Binaries" with google and the first result will be)

1. I unpacked mysql-5.6.12-linux-glibc2.5-x86_64.tar.gz in /Home/username/. I got the file mysql-5.6.12-linux-glibc2.5-x86_64

2. I used the command ln to make a symbolic path for the file mysql-5.6.12-linux-glibc2.5-x86_64.

3. I used the command cd ~/mysql and sudo chown -R mysql . and sudo chgrp -R mysql . to change the owner to be mysql.

4. I used the command sudo scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql to install.

5. I used the command sudo chown -R root . and sudo chown -R mysql data to change the owner.(no clue for the reason)

6. I used the command sudo bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql & to install.

It promts:

130729 13:08:52 mysqld_safe Logging to '/home/wong/mysql-5.6.12-linux-glibc2.5-x86_64/data/ubuntu.err'.
    130729 13:08:52 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /home/wong/mysql-5.6.12-linux-glibc2.5-x86_64/data
    130729 13:08:54 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /home/wong/mysql-5.6.12-linux-glibc2.5-x86_64/data/ubuntu.pid ended

Please help...
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Any reason you're installing it manually yourself rather than using the package manager?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Any reason you're installing it manually yourself rather than using the package manager?
    I want to learn more.
    Also, the book i am reading (Learning MySQL by Hugh E.Williams) suggests to do so.
  7. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My advice is to forget learning how to install it yourself and focus instead on learning MySQL. Besides, package managers exist specifically so you don't have to do this yourself.

I don't know what directions you're following but here are the official ones.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    My advice is to forget learning how to install it yourself and focus instead on learning MySQL. Besides, package managers exist specifically so you don't have to do this yourself.

I don't know what directions you're following but here are the official ones.
    I can see your point, thank you!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo