1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to add MySQL User to over 500 Databases

Hi.

I am moving a client wordpresses from one server to another. Over 500 wordpress installs. I have the files moved over and imported all the databases which took for ever. Now I need to add the MySQL User to all the databases. I am using the same user for every database. Is there a query I can run for this? I have the user created I just need to get that user added to every database with full permissions.

Thanks for any help..
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Do you mean the user should have access to every database, or just that there are 500 of them?
  5. No Profile Picture

I have over 500 database (one for each wordpress) I need to add the MySQL user and password with full privileges to each of the 500 databases.

In phpmyadmin I have to select the database then add user to that database and set privilege to full one by one, its taking forever. I am hoping for a script or query I can run?

The old server would not let me do a mysqldump so I had to do a full site backup through the cpanel to get all my databases. I have all the databases loaded on the new server I just need to add the user and set permissions.

Thanks for the reply
  7. No Profile Picture

I think another way to say it is: "Allow multiple MySQL databases to be accessed by only one user". That is what I am trying to do. Is there some way I can do this with a query?
  9. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you were to create a user that had access to all the databases, not explicitly those 500, then you could
    Code:
    GRANT whatever ON *.* TO user
    For 500 you'll want something automated. There's no way I can think of to do multiple grants in one statement, but you could create the user privileges manually via the mysql.db and mysql.tables_priv tables. Combining that with information_schema you could do an INSERT...SELECT:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO mysql.db (Host, Db, User, Select_Priv, Insert_Priv, Update_Priv, Delete_priv)
    SELECT "%", SCHEMA_NAME, "the user", "Y", "Y", "Y", "Y"
    FROM information_schema.SCHEMATA
    WHERE conditions to pick the databases
    followed by
    Code:
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo