1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Why a db I created with phpmyadmin does not include .myd and .myi extensions ?

I am giving my 1st steps with MYSQL databases.
    Through PHPMYADMIN I created a database named aug102013 and a table named mmktcustom.
    It is located @ C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.12\data\aug102103.
    Inside the folder aug102013 there are only three files : db.opt , mmktcustom.frm , mmktcustom and .ibd (opened with notepad , it is where the table mmkcustom info are stored).
    Comparing with already existing db created during wamp setup , C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.12\data\mysql , inside the folder mysql , I find files with the .myd and .myi extensions. Why such other extensions were not created do my db ?
    Another question : letīs suppose I create a db for a site , which is in the folder C:\wamp\www\mysite.
    How with phpmyadmin can I create the db into the folder mysite ?
    Thank you.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Ron Wolpa
    Inside the folder aug102013 there are only three files : db.opt , mmktcustom.frm , mmktcustom and .ibd (opened with notepad , it is where the table mmkcustom info are stored).
    Comparing with already existing db created during wamp setup , C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.12\data\mysql , inside the folder mysql , I find files with the .myd and .myi extensions. Why such other extensions were not created do my db ?
    MYD and MYI files are only for MyISAM tables.

Another question : letīs suppose I create a db for a site , which is in the folder C:\wamp\www\mysite.
    How with phpmyadmin can I create the db into the folder mysite ?
    You don't. Tables can't go in any arbitrary location you want. They go in the data/ folder. If you want to move that folder somewhere else then you can do that.
    Besides, don't store the data files with your website anyways. They won't help you by being there.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    MYD and MYI files are only for MyISAM tables.
    You don't. Tables can't go in any arbitrary location you want. They go in the data/ folder. If you want to move that folder somewhere else then you can do that. Besides, don't store the data files with your website anyways. They won't help you by being there.

Right ! Thanks for posting an answer.
    I am trying to organize my ideas and to avoid to make a mess on my mind.
    I have another question : if the database files reside in the path created by PHPMYADMIN which is not the path of the site I am working on (C:\wamp\www\mysite) , how am I going to test it ?
    Letīs suppose the site folder is in C:\wamp\www\mysite and that I have the file index.php to establish connection with the database (….$db = mysql_connect("localhost", "root", ""); etc , etc) , if I type in the browser localhost:8080/mysite/ index.php , will there be local connection with my database ?(supposing everything is correct)
    I still have another question regarding the site connection with the db as the site will be in the web server.
    This one I will split in another post. Thank you for your attention.

7. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

if the database files reside in the path created by PHPMYADMIN
    Which they don't.

how am I going to test it ?
    Test what?

Letīs suppose the site folder is in C:\wamp\www\mysite and that I have the file index.php to establish connection with the database (….$db = mysql_connect("localhost", "root", ""); etc , etc) , if I type in the browser localhost:8080/mysite/ index.php , will there be local connection with my database ?(supposing everything is correct)
    Yes.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Letīs suppose the site folder is ...........ETC

Yes.
    Thank you very much.
    Thatīs what I was expecting to hear.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo