1. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Alter/Update 1 table based on another

Well, I wish to update values on 1 table. It currently holds usernames as the value. I wish to make it alter the username into the userID that matches that username from another table. Table I wish to alter is named Projects and other table that holds logins w/ userID is userPass. How would I pull this off?
    He who knows not that he knows not is a fool, ignore him. He who knows that he knows not is ignorant, teach him. He who knows not that he knows is asleep, awaken him. He who knows that he knows is a leader, follow him.
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

alter the projects table to add the userid column

then run a joined update to the userpass table matching on username, and update the projects userids

then -- after you resolve any that weren't matched -- alter the projects table and drop the username
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Very nicely thought. Never crossed my mind to add/remove a column to pull this off. ^_^
    He who knows not that he knows not is a fool, ignore him. He who knows that he knows not is ignorant, teach him. He who knows not that he knows is asleep, awaken him. He who knows that he knows is a leader, follow him.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo