1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Assistance with Joins in mysql

Hi All,

This is a really simple question about Joins, I'm trying to get a list of Categories a client is assigned to, there's a middle table between the two breaking the many-many relationship called tblClient_Category. Here is my SQL:

[MYSQL]SELECT tblLookup_Category.Category_ID, tblLookup_Category.Category_Name, tbl_Client.Client_ID, tbl_Client_Category.Client_ID, tbl_Client_Category.Category_ID
    FROM ((tblLookup_Category AS lc
    INNER JOIN tblClient ON tblClient_Category.Client_ID = tblClient.Client_ID)
    INNER JOIN tblLookup_Category ON tblClient_Category.Category_ID = tblLookup_Category.Category_ID)
    WHERE tbl_Client_Category.Client_ID = 101[/MYSQL]

As it is at the moment I'm getting an error

MySQL said: Documentation

#1066 - Not unique table/alias: 'tblLookup_Category'
    Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Graham
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Graham_K
    I'm trying to get a list of Categories a client is assigned to...
    this is what i call the "filter" condition -- it filters the rows being returned to the join

one very strong suggestion i have for writing joins is to put the table with the filter condition first in your FROM clause

in other words, get the Client row for the desired (filtered) client, and join the other tables only to that row

this is conceptually different from doing a three-table join and then throwing away all the joined rows that don't belong to the desired (filtered) client

that said, a good database optimizer will re-arrange the joins no matter how you write them so that it can apply the filter condition first -- nevertheless, it's good practice to write your joins in the same way that makes sense for performance

another tip -- don't put both join columns into the SELECT list if your join conditions force them to be equal

finally, in this case you don't really need the tblClient table, because you aren't selecting any columns for it, but typically you would, so i've invented the client_name column to illustrate

(oh, and by the way, sticking "tbl" on the front of your table names is useless noise -- imagine if we did this in english: nounParis prepIn artThe nounSpring
    Code:
    SELECT c.Client_ID
         , c.Client_Name
         , lc.Category_ID
         , lc.Category_Name
      FROM tblClient AS c
    INNER
      JOIN tblClient_Category AS cc
        ON cc.Client_ID = c.Client_ID  
    INNER
      JOIN tblLookup_Category AS lc
        ON lc.Category_ID = cc.Category_ID