Thread: COM vs. .NET

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

COM vs. .NET

I'm new to .NET/C# and I've been programming C# for a month or so now.

I'm not a C++ programmer, but I like knowing how stuff works, so I started reading a C++/COM/ATL book.

I got about halfway through it before I started doing C#, and now I'm wondering why I should ever learn COM/ATL.

Any reasons for me to tackle that hog? In other words, why should I ever write new code in COM/C++? Are there specific reasons I should know this stuff, other than for legacy code?

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

first know the difference between c++ and c#. c++ is an ANSI language that is controlled by them. c# is a MS language that is owned by them (and controlled by them). the downfall to the .net language group is the framework. to run a .net program you need it installed on the computer running the program.

if you will never have to write a COM dll ever then there is no need for you to learn it. if you can live the rest of your life with c# then you are fine. i believe this .net framework is suppose to replace COM so you may not have go too long before not ever having to worry about COM.

if ignorance is bliss then ingore away
  5. No Profile Picture

That sounded a tad elitist, but thank you!

Ever since I started working with Java (a couple of years ago), then VB, and now C#, I keep trying to get to C++, and somehow I never get to use it. I have control over which language I use, but I also have to worry about time to production.

Sigh.

Cheers!
  7. No Profile Picture

What about COM+ for transactions? From what I understand, .NET needs COM+ if you want to write transactional support. ??

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo