1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dynamic PDF Generation (From HTML)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a component that could do these things:

- Must be able to convert simple HTML (with tables, font colors, etc.) into a PDF document

- Must be able to embed within the HTML img tags with a src that is a vector graphic (ie: WMF, EMF, AI). These vector images must be displayed properly in the PDF, and still be stored in a vector format

- Must be able to find what the size of the HTML will be after being placed in the PDF

This is to be used for an online catalogueing application. I will be generating HTML templates for the pages which will then be filled with data from a DB. I need to be able to find what the size of the HTML will be in the PDF to know whether I need to start a new page or not; this is to ensure that the template for any particular product in the catalogue will not be split across pages. As well I need the ability to embed my vector images of the products in the HTML, as these catalogues will eventually go to print.

Any suggestions or other possible ways to do this would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

Wink A few out there, none are free, or even very good yet:

There are actually a few different conversion/creation tools out there, but I have not really seen any that I like totally yet.

Depending on the platform doing the conversion and the amount of money you have available, it can be done. Do a "DYNAMIC PDF creation" search in google, and you'll see tons of programs and plugins.

If you can wait, Adobe is actually coming out with a PDF/XML conversion/creation tool that is supposed to be the wonderful. But until then, you'll have to use third party things.

One company that I have used extensively is www.persits.com which provides some wonderful plugin's for ASP development. I know he is also working on a PDF plugin.

Good luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

Appreciate the post emladris, but still having no luck. Already have done many Google searches, still not finding anything that'll help.

I've created my own PDF generator that is usable from ASP, VB, C++, etc., already, but would really prefer not having to add on to it the features that I need.

I just find it unbelievable that no one has built a tool such as I'm looking for. Has no one in the past ever needed something to generate PDFs with dynamic content that may change size?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo