1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Managing Classes

Hi,

I have been a solo C# programmer for some time but recently my boss hired some new programmers and I have been put in charge of this small team. I am now faced with new managing and admin challenges.

One of my challenges is with the creation of new classes and updating of old ones. I fear a situation where there are multiple versions of a class on each developers computer and not one master version. How do developer teams overcome this issue?

I was thinking of a server which holds all the classes. When a developer adds one of these classes to his project, C# should use that remote class. If changes are made to this class then it should automatically reflect on the developers' project. The developer should also only have read access as not to allow anyone to make changes to a class at anytime.

Any other tips and advice on how to manage a small team of developers?

Many thanks,
    Jan
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

You use a Revision/Version Control system, such as CVS, SVN, Git, Etc. Each developer would have their own working copy checked out and they'd need to make sure to keep it up to date by doing consistent updates from/to the main repository.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo