1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to monitor users on network?

Hi,

I want to create an application, which constantly listen to the traffic on a Windows 2000 server. The purpose is to monitor 8 of the computers on the network to control the time users spend on the network via these machines.
    The purpose is that the students (it is on a school) can use these 8 machines very much like computers in an Internet cafe. The students should be granted 15 minutes each within a 2 hour period. After the 2 hours they get another 15 minutes available. The 15 minutes time slot should be flexible, as the user should be able to choose when or whether he/she wants to use it.
    I have never created such an application before, or even touched the subject, as my programming experience is quite limited.
    Can someone please give me some hints on how this can be done. Or even better, submit some source code, which can perform such a task.

My initial idea is that I can create an application that constantly monitor the traffic from these 8 computers using their IP or MAC address to identify them, and make a simple log using Access. If a user tries to log on and their given time slot has been used, the application just blocks any traffic to that computer until a legitimate user logs on.
    Is this the way to go?

I'll be happy for any comments...!!!

Thanks in advance,

N.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Isnt there a facility like this available already on the server?
  5. No Profile Picture

In the case of this facility already existing on the server, it will be highly appreciated if someone can give me some hints about how this kind of control can be implemented.

Thanks,

N.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo