1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy how to search a specific record in Access using VB.NET

Hi guys, I am just a newcomer in VB.NET development. I just can not figure out how would I search one specific record in an Access Database using VB.NET. I already have addes and modified records but need help with searches. If anyone can please help me I will appreciate it
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi

I am just a new comer in vb.net just like you and I am unable to modify a record. Can u pls comment as to how to use string and display data in text field if that record exists.
    I am using access db as backend. pls comment. I have just relocated to bangalore. my emailE-Mail address blocked: See forums rules)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by hzam
    Hi guys, I am just a newcomer in VB.NET development. I just can not figure out how would I search one specific record in an Access Database using VB.NET. I already have addes and modified records but need help with searches. If anyone can please help me I will appreciate it
    A "search" is sone with a select statement.
    A select statement can include a where clause, which contains one or more predicates that define the criteria for "searching"

For example:
    Select * From MyTable
    will return all records from MyTable (and all columns as well, but that isn't important in these examples)

If you want to limit it to certain records, you need to add the Where clause:

Select * From MyTable Where FirstName = 'Robert'

The Where clause can become very complex, and is a big part of what using a relational database is all about. You can retieve whatever you have stored based on a number of selecting predicates, as long as you have stored the data correctly.

Now... if that wasn't what you were asking, then please clarify your request.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo