1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Seeking ADVICE on how you interpret this role?

POSITION SUMMARY

We are looking to add a Junior/Entry level ASP .NET developer to join our team to handle application maintenance and service requests. This position is full time and offers room for advancement and professional growth within our development team.

This is the perfect entry level developer position to learn our applications and grow in our company toward advancement into the application development team. The Application Support position involves working with multiple departments researching application issues, code analysis, and processing updates for our online travel booking systems. Candidate should be able to analyze user experience reports, server error screenshots and user interface reports and researching application processes to determine next steps toward resolution. The right individual for this role will be a motivated and energetic entry level ASP .Net developer who takes initiative, enjoys finding solutions to a varying number of challenges, is detail-oriented, and enjoys being part of a larger IT team.

The right candidate will be highly familiar with HTML, CSS, and basic SQL92 syntax and be able to analyze ASP.NET and XML syntax. Knowledge of SOAP, AJAX, JSON, MVC and other design patterns a plus.

I am hopefully moving on to ROUND 2 interviews next week and was curious as to what you guys think I should be prepared for and know with this type of position. It will be my first position in IT, I have been using ASP.NET for approximately 1 year and have a solid understanding but I want to make sure I nail this and that I'm not in over my head. Any help and or advice related to Entry level ASP.NET jobs and interviews would be great. Thanks.
  3. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Here's what I read into the posting:

Originally Posted by bradmartin0924
    We are looking to add a Junior/Entry level ASP .NET developer to join our team to handle application maintenance and service requests. This position is full time and offers room for advancement and professional growth within our development team.
    We're not looking to pay much but we're looking for a hard worker.

The Application Support position involves working with multiple departments researching application issues, code analysis, and processing updates for our online travel booking systems. etc. etc.
    You'll have to work with non technical people, understand what their problem is, figure out where the code is broken, or where the program is not intuitive. Once the issue has been identified you'll have to fix small issues, or if it's more of an overarching issue probably work with the developers to develop a solution

This is the perfect entry level developer position to learn our applications and grow in our company toward advancement into the application development team.
    If we like you you'll get to stop working with customers and write more code.

The right candidate will be highly familiar with HTML, CSS, and basic SQL92 syntax and be able to analyze ASP.NET and XML syntax. Knowledge of SOAP, AJAX, JSON, MVC and other design patterns a plus.
    If you've been using ASP.NET for a year I'd guess you have the technical qualifications down, but just in case I'd be prepared to talk about what each of these keywords are, how they interact with one another.

More importantly I'd be prepared to explain how you'd solve 'problems' the user is experiencing and explain what part of the code you'd dig into to fix the problem:

Submit Button does nothing, check the css/html
    request hangs and never comes back, check the asp.net code.

Overall I'd be prepared to show your worth in this interview by turning 'problems' into systematic ways to look for the issue in code.

-MBirchmeier

Comments on this post

• bradmartin0924 agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good analysis. Thanks. I'm confident and comfortable with the role, it's more Support than Development. Which starting out I think will give me a lot of time to look at code and learn a few things. Appreciate the feedback and that kind of eases my mind over the weekend. I just don't have the "Professional Experience" to get many development positions, but this was posted on my school's job board so they are aware that they are looking for people with my skillset and experience.

Thanks again!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo