1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Problems accessing pc across WAN of a wireless router.

I have a server with some PCs on switch going into the WAN of wireless router.

When i connect any PC to the lan or wireless of the router I can access the machines on the lan of the router but not the ones across the wan of the router.

I machines across the wan even do not respond to ping request.

Can anyone guide me for properly configuring my network to access all the machines on the network i.e. the ones on the wireless should be able to share files with the server connected to the wan input of the router.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Any reason why you have you switched connected to router using the WAN port instead of LAN port?
    What happend if you try with LAN port?

Which router do you have?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    Any reason why you have you switched connected to router using the WAN port instead of LAN port?
    What happend if you try with LAN port?

Which router do you have?

Its the network of my college. The server first goes into a switch. The switch has got about 15 machines alongwith server in the same lab. the wireless router connects the switch. The reason I want to use WAN is that I want to install a firewall to block some urls (eg. social networking) on wifi. so that when students use their laptops they cannot access the sites. I cannot block the urls from server as the internet connectivity goes to research labs also and I want to provide them complete internet services (w/o firewall blocking).

The wireless router is situated at other room where the office pc and other official machines are connected to the router in lan. now, I want to share files from the server and the machines around the server with the PCs connected across the router.

The present configs are:

server : 192.168.1.50

other machines in server lab: 192.168.1.51 to 65.
    default gateway 192.168.1.50

Router : 192.168.1.100 (WAN)
    default gateway 192.168.1.50

Router lan: 192.168.2.1
    Router DHCP enabled, range : 192.168.2.10 to 50
    default gateway 192.168.2.1

I have an Edimax ethernet wireless router. don't remember the exact model.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo