1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

adding xp laptop to existing wireless network

I just bought a gateway laptop xp with built in wireless. I have an existing wireless network with dlink 614+ cable/dsl router with a dell win 2000 machine hardwired to the router. I also have my two kids computer running win 98 connected to the network for internet sharing. I have even shared the printer connected to the 2000 machine with one of my daughter's computer so she can print to it. The trouble i'm having is the new laptop running xp can surf the internet wirelessly but I can't see any body else on the network. I can see the new laptop on the win 2000 machine but when i double click on the little computer icon i get an error message under computers near me: \\mikeandlaynie is not accessible. THe network path was not found.

What I want to do is to be able to sit at kitchen table with xp laptop and print to printer that is connected to the win 2000 machine. thanks for the help in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi Mike,

First of all, Win XP Pro (by default) enables OS Firewall protection linked to the Wireless NIC card. This caused path error on my IBM T40 running XP Pro on home network.

Try disabling the firewall protection feature in the TCP/IP Properties/Advance for your WAN NIC Card. Then make sure the workgroup (or domain name in my case) is the same. Next, you need to add your new gateway user name to the win2K box and make sure the printer is being shared.

I don't share folders on my home network any longer as I have run into 2 security hack attempts. Please keep in mind that home networks are generally subjected to high risks for malicious activity due to negligence of typical home users. Believe me I know. (Teenager in neighborhood was smarter than I). I would make sure your WAN card has 256bit Security enabled with a good key before using it freely.

My wireless network is only capable of 128bit encryption, So I went with wired system. I only use the wireless at Airports and trusted networks in my travels. Not hotels!! Never!!!

Oh I assume your Wireless NIC card requests IP from your router. It must if you can surf web.

See ya.. Kevin

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo