1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need bandwidth monitor for home usage

I need a simple monitoring solution for my home. I have my ISP modem, my router (ASUS RT-AC66U) is connected to it and from that router, I have many devices connected.

Only 2 are wired (2 workstations) and many (about 20) are wireless. When I say many, those are not laptops, but my kids XBOX, PS3 and Wii, smartphones (both iPhones and Android), tablets (bis), etc.

What I would like to know is what is taking bandwith, both wireless and wired, over my network.

How can I monitor this with my current hardware? And if I can't what's the best and cheapest solution to achieve this?

Thanks a lot!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hmm...I think you can do this with wireshark, but it won't be all pretty or anything; though it is free. I've heard of, "what's up gold", but I think it's more geared towards corporate users.

edit: Just had a thought, it may be cheaper (and less headache on you) to search for a home router with network monitoring built right in; quick Google search popped up the Netgear 3800.
    Last edited by seack79; June 6th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

That ASUS router is supported by dd-wrt firmware, which I believe, has support for bandwidth monitoring..so, anything connected thru router would be able to be monitored.

You might want to check that out HERE (just enter your router model into the form to see the options).
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I use BitMeter, small and great. Might not meet your needs but check it out, it just might

Edit: sorry didnt read properly, this would only work if you have a machine running 24/7
    Last edited by onlinegamesnz; June 7th, 2013 at 05:18 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your replies, here's my thoughts;

@seack79 : Wireshark seems to do the job, but I think I need an SNMP switch, it can't do the job right off the bat with the hardware I currently have. As for the router option, mine (ASUS RT-AC66U) is brand new and it's pretty nice router and expensive router. I can see the total bandwidth usage but can't see individual usage, which sucks.

@DonR : I will check if it supports it and if I'm an adventurer enough to install it. I don't want to break something. Thanks.

@onlinegamesnz : correct me if I'm wrong but BitMeter installs on Windows PCs and can't monitor smartphones, tablets, Linux PCs, XBOX and PS3 systems.
  11. No Profile Picture

Opsview Core

Try using Opsview Core. It is the free version of a really good monitoring platform that companies use. It can look at your interfaces and let you know about bandwidth, throughput, errors, discards etc.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo