1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Small campus overhaul

I'm working with a church that has a 3-building campus, and we've recently gotten the budget to bring the network up to snuff, and I'm weighing my options for the best way to accomplish this. Right now the DSL comes into the office building, where we then have a line to the youth building, and from the youth building to the sanctuary building.

My current thinking is to replace the (quite old) line going to the youth building and run a new line from office to sanctuary, most likely going twisted pair (if fiber is in the budget I'll go that route, but since the max distance switch-to-switch is probably 100-150 yards, I'm thinking twisted pair is probably the more economical choice).

What do you think? What am I not thinking through at this point?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is there a problem with the old line?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Is there a problem with the old line?
    I believe so. We've been having increasingly worse connectivity between buildings lately, and both ends have new switches. I've got a little more checking to do, but for purposes of the discussion I'm assuming that the line does need to be replaced. Even if it turns out it doesn't, I'd still like to run a dedicated line from the office to the sanctuary building.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

100-150 yars would be 300-450 feet; which is longer than a single twisted pair can go reliably. Do you have some equipment in the middle that is repeating the signal for you?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    100-150 yars would be 300-450 feet; which is longer than a single twisted pair can go reliably. Do you have some equipment in the middle that is repeating the signal for you?
    Well, that's the distance I'm wanting to allow from office to sanctuary building. Office to youth building is 50 yards tops, and yes we do repeat the signal there. Realistic distance is probably shorter than that for going to the sanctuary, but I'm trying to allow on the long side. I'm assuming there will be some type of repeating equipment, though, if we go twisted-pair.

Does anyone have any experience with Alvarion's products? It seems like that would make much of this a lot simpler, since I'd probably be looking at contracting out any new/replacement cabling between buildings whereas we have people at the church who could put some antennae up. This would be my first foray into WiMax or similar, though, so I'm hesitant to put it on the table since my experience is only in theory. I know their stuff is probably way overkill for my purposes, but if there's a lower-power (and thus more appropriate to this project) alternative I'd love to hear about it.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If your budget can support fiber, that's the way I'd go. Outside copper lines can get affected by weather (lightning, wet) causing problems. Fiber is basically immune to any external EMF. And you'll have lots of bandwidth, much more than wireless.

Some wireless point-to-point would be my second choice.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with Doug. Though you can run the twisted pair lines through a conduit, fiber will give you better reliability and longer distances too.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to get somebody out to look at actually running the lines, and it sounds like I need to be looking at quotes for both fiber and twisted-pair.
  17. Automagically Delicious

It's pretty well covered already, but I'd throw in my recommendation for fiber, too. It's not nearly as expensive as it used to be and if you're anywhere near that 100 meter mark it's worth it to not chance it. Also the zero interference from EMF noise is a huge plus.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo