1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't get a network to work over internet

Hello,

I currently have a dell laptop hooked via cable to a DSL modem. It is running windows xp, I have the guest account on, it has the firewall turned off, and every other internet protection has been deleted. In my modem I have the port forwarded to the best of my isp's ability. (I spent >5 hours getting help from them to port forward, it ended with them saying it had to be a computer problem) The modem is a SmartRg powered by ClearAcess SR100 and my ISP is Fairpoint.
    Here is a copy of my cmd running ipconfig /all:
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Dr.Frev>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : alanlaptop
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-1C-0D-1C
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.146.35.35
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 01, 2012 5:56:43 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:56:43 PM

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-E9-6A-01-5F

C:\Documents and Settings\Dr.Frev>
    I also (after giving up all hope) put my computers ip on the DMZ.
    So, I am currently trying to settup a python server (I know this isn't a python forum, I believe my code works properly). When I run the code on LAN using 192.168.1.65 (servers local ip) it works fine from any computer. If I switch it to my ip, 12.34.56.78 it no longer works. I decided to attach a picture of my problem with how I have my modem setup.
    http://i.imgur.com/E4rYg.png

When I run canyouseeme.org on port 9000 it says it is open. When I run netMap on my ip it says that port 9000 isn't open. I have used my program on port 23 (telnet) I am able to get a response from that. I don't exactly know what that means for my problem but I thought I should include it.

I really just want to have a server work on my network.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

*Note: My ip is not 12.34.56.78, I am just using this in place of my ip because I don't want to put my ip over the internet. Especially with DMZ and no firewall.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm not too familiar with coding, but looking at your Test.py file I don't see that the following line is commented out:

HOST, PORT = "0.0.0.0", 9000.

Do you have to enter the local IP of your server here; as opposed to "0.0.0.0"? In the code I would think it should be set to listen to your internal IP, and not your external IP. As far as your network, it looks setup properly.
    Last edited by seack79; October 7th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

That code is rather messy, but that code doesn't do anything in the client code. I have it setup so that the server and client code are the same except for that commented out part. Using the '0.0.0.0' in the code makes it listen to every incoming message.
  7. No Profile Picture

I have posted on many forums, and have spent hours on the phone with my isp. Does anyone know of a service that could just charge me to fix this problem with a guarantee of it working. I have spent months on this with no advance in progress and I am done just waiting with the knowledge that its not going to get fixed without professionals. I just need my computer to be able to communicate with another across the internet. I never knew it would be so hard to do something so simple.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Its quite possible that there is nothing wrong with your port forwarding/setup.
    Have you tried connecting to your "python" server from somewhere other than your own internal network?
    Alot of modem/routers [which yours has router builtin since your internal IP is 192.168.x.x] do not have loopback ablility [which is ability to connect from inside your own LAN using external IP back into your internal LAN]. So, you may find that your server actually works from somewhere else outside of your own network.

Comments on this post

• Rukbat agrees : Good call, and probably correct.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo