1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Changing from one network to another

I have two networks in my house: my hardwired network called "my network" and my wireless network called "my wireless." My new windows 8 computer is hardwired to the router, but it is connected to the "my wireless" network which works, but is very slow. How can I change to connect to "my network"?

Richard Lee
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Turn off wireless if you don't need it. Remove all of the known networks and it just won't connect unless you manually do it.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  5. No Profile Picture

Didn't work

When I first got the new Windows 8 computer, I used my wireless network to move my data from my old computer to my new one. Then, when I was finished, I plugged my new computer into the network, but altho it was hardwired, it still connected to my wireless network. The router shows it connected, but at the "10" speed instead of the "100" speed which the other hardwired computer shows.

I turned off the wireless signal, but that didn't help. It is still connected to the wireless network even tho the signal has been turned off. I can't get Windows 8 to show all available networks. It keeps telling me I am connected as tho I am stupid to even want to change networks.

Frustrated,
    Richard Lee
  7. No Profile Picture

It sounds like you are connected through the hardwire connection at 10Mbps. You network interface card is probably 10/100. Check the settings on your NIC to see if you can select 100Mbps. Since you have another computer on the same router/switch then it's probably not a setting on the router.

Wireless operates at the following rates:
    802.11g = 54Mbps
    802.11b = 11Mbps
    So you won't see your wireless connection showing 10Mbps. You'll either see 54 or 11.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo