1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can I check if someone is using my wireless router?

I'm using linksys wireless router and was wondering if there is a way to check if someone is connected to it.
    Thank you for any help.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by irm_lexx
    I'm using linksys wireless router and was wondering if there is a way to check if someone is connected to it.
    You can log into the router and there should be a section for who's currently connected. It'll list an IP, a MAC address, and possibly some other information... Without a model number, I can't tell you exactly where in the router the list of users resides, but there should be one... Just look around, or look through the user manual... If you still can't find it, post the model number of the router.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by hiker
    You can log into the router and there should be a section for who's currently connected. It'll list an IP, a MAC address, and possibly some other information... Without a model number, I can't tell you exactly where in the router the list of users resides, but there should be one... Just look around, or look through the user manual... If you still can't find it, post the model number of the router.
    wrt54g
    Thank you for any help.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Was looking up the user manual to hard?

From there, click on DHCP Client Table.
  9. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Yes, I am. Please don't disconnect me until I'm done downloading pr0n and sending spam with your IP address.

Seriously, like hiker stated, login to the router's index page (just type your router's IP address in the browser's address box - default username is blank and the password is 'admin' on the WRT54G) and check out the DHCP table. Unfortunately that's only going to show you if someone has easily hijacked your connection using DHCP. If they've gone to the trouble of configuring their PC with a static IP address, you won't see them. Checking your WLAN LED on the front of the router doesn't really help either, since packets are sent back and forth on a regular basis anyway (unless you really see it going nuts and you know you're not connected).

Best thing to do is make sure you follow these simple rules:
    • Change the default SSID from 'linksys' to anything else, as long as you remember it. Then 'hide' the SSID broadcast.
    • Make sure you're at least using WEP 128bit encryption. This is easy to break, but keeps the generic looky-loos from connecting on-the-fly. If you can, use WPA2 AES encryption.
    • Consider using the MAC address filter, giving the router only the MAC addresses of the nodes you intend to connect with.
    • Also consider using some of the filters to disallow internet connectivity during times of day when you know you won't be using it.

Comments on this post

• Myztacia agrees : Great advice in a nutshell.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo