1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best configuration for my repeater

I've Googled this and found several different ways to do this, but I would like direct opinions based on my hardware, if possible.

Router : ASUS RT-AC66U
    WPA2-Personnal / AES
    192.168.5.1 (DHCP .100 to .200)
    DNS1 : 208.67.222.222
    DNS2 : 208.67.220.220
    SSID : ASUS
    Channel : 11
    Channel bandwidth : 40Mhz
    Wireless Mode : N Only

Repeater : EnGenius EAP350
    WPA2-PSK / AES
    DHCP : Disabled
    DNS1 : 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 : 0.0.0.0
    SSID : ENGENIUS
    Channel : 11
    Channel bandwidth : ??? (Can't see that anywhere in the config, but from my WiFi analyzer, it seems to be 40 Mhz too.)
    Wireless Mode : 802.11 B/G/N Mixed (Can't change it)
    Transmit Power : 20dBm (max 29dBm)
    Gateway : 192.168.5.1

My ASUS router doesn't do all my home, I changed the 3 antennas with those items to improve, but it doesn't help that much.

- Middle antenna : Asus Wl-Ant157 Dual Band Directional Antenna, 5dbi/7dbi Antenna

- Side antennas : Super Power Supply® 3 x 9dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna for Routers

I've played around with router antennas positions, and it doesn't help that much, my signal don't improve. So if anyone has ideas on how to get a better signal, it will be welcome.

So that's mainly why I purchased the EnGenius EAP350 repeater. It works now, but I just want to know if my setup is actually 'an optimal setup'. Here's some questions, and if you see something else that could help that I didn't mention, feel free to propose. And if you have any questions that could help me, ask.

Thanks all for the help.

1. The SSID is not the same, I have to manually switch from one to another, is setting the same SSID a good idea (I would like my device to connect to only one SSID but to auto-switch to the better signal, is that possible?)? If so, is there additional step to do?
    2. Both are actually in channel 11, is it a better idea to chance one of them to channel 1 or 6? And if I put them with the same SSID, do I keep the same channel?
    3. Do I have to specify DNS1 and DNS2 on the repeater?
    4. It is better to have the channel bandwith at 20Mhz, 40Mhz or 20/40Mhz?
    5. Should I increase my EnGenius to 29dBm instead of the default 20dBm to gain some signal strength?
    6. Like I said, if you see anything that could help me, please insert here

Thanks again for the help, very appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hey Export,

What I would recommend would be the following:

1. Remove the repeater and purchase a wireless access point.

2. Run a cat 5 line to the point in the home where the signal degrades (you can either run it yourself or pay someone to do it for you).

3. If running cat 5 isn't an option, purchase a powerline kit.

4. Plug the access point into the cat 5 cable or powerline kit. In either case, the other end of the cable will go into a LAN port on the "main" router.

5. Configure the SSID on the WAP to be the same as the router.

6. Set the channel of the WAP to something other than the router (I recommend setting the router to 11 and the WAP to 1 or 6).

7. Scan for other networks in the area if you have a means (many smart phones have built in apps that will do this for you). See what channel any other wifi networks are on and adjust yours accordingly (if channel 1 is congested try 6, etc..). Typically you want a 4-5 channel difference when using the same SSID to prevent channel interference.

Hope this helps!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the reply, here's some points;

- Actually, it seems to 'work', but like I said, not the same SSID, and it does not auto-switch for better network if available. Your setup will solve that issue?

- My repeater (EnGenius EAP350) can actually act as an Access Point too, so I assume I can just change it's operation mode and not purchase another access point, right?

- I can pass a CAT5 cable (is CAT5E or CAT6 a better solution than CAT5?) to the AP without issues. But I have an ASUS Gigabit switch between, is that an issue? Router connected to a switch and the switch connects 4-5 devices, I could add another wire on the switch to connect the Access Point, is that ok?

Thanks a lot for your help, very clear and neat!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1. Yes, by using the same SSID but different channels this will solve your "auto-connect" issue.

2. If your repeater can be turned into a WAP, that should be just fine. You want it to act like a wireless switch basically...no firewall, dhcp service, nat, etc... Should not be an issue.

3. For your purposes Cat5 will be just fine. Adding the WAP to the switch should be ok; I can't think of a reason it won't work. Give it a try and good luck.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, this seems to work, I've done what you told me + added the same security to the WAP that was on the router and it seems to be working fine.

The only issues I seem to have is;

- Signal from my main router seems to falling when I'm looking at him, I see it disappear and coming back each 4-5 seconds, and this happen for about a second and it comes back. Does not seems to impact my ping though.

- The auto-switch does not seems to work. Is this instant or it takes some time to get an auto-switch of networks? Does it depends on the device? With my GS3, it didn,t make the switch until I was far enough for my router to not getting any signal, then it got onto my WAP.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey Export,

It should be instant and you should not notice a drop if it's setup properly. With that said, if you're using different hardware vendors that can cause issues. They may have different chipsets, etc.. Usually you want to stick with the same hardware and vendor when performing such setups. For example, I often times setup Apple Extreme routers and have an Express "extend" a network. Both products our made by Apple and utilize similar chipsets.

If you can't get it to work, you may want to consider getting another Asus router of the same model you already have. Then turn it into an Access Point only by disabling DHCP, NAT, and the Firewall features. Assign it a static local IP and see if that fixes it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo