1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Possible to connect distant LAN device using wireless router as a bridge

Sorry if this question is really basic, but I have been reading about WAPs and everything I read requires the 2nd router to be wired to the primary router. My internet/router are in a different part of my house far from 2 devices that can only accept LAN connections. How can I use a device (and what device should I use) to obtain a wireless signal from my primary router connected to my internet and share it with these devices ?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am trying to follow your question as some of it seems run on.

Let me see if I am understanding your need:

- You have 2 devices that do not have wireless
    - they are in an area of your house that you do not have wired connections
    - you want to use a WAP to supply network to those two devices?

If this is the case, you will want to create the WAP (if possible) in a client bridge mode. Basically this allows the WAP to catch signal from your router and output that connection to the LAN port on the back.

Most WAPs only have 1 port but if it is a router or a wap with a switch you can do this and connect your two devices. If not you will need a switch to split the 1 cable from the back of the WAP.

I can be more specific if I knew what equipment and devices you are connecting.
  5. No Profile Picture

You nailed it.

I am using a Denon AVR 1719 and older xbox 360 as my two wired connections. My primary router is an ATT 2WIRE type. My proposed bridge router would be a Belkin N600. I do not know if it is possible for this router to capture the 2WIRE signal wirelessly, but if it is I would like to use it. If not I would like to purchase an alternative piece of hardware.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am not directly familiar with that model but I did a quick search and look at the product sheets. It does not look like it can do "client bridge" mode. Have you bought this router already?

The switch part will work fine but without the feature to catch the wireless and supply the WAN to the router its useless.

You will need to look for a different product one of my suggestion is the ERB300H. Pretty low cost and should be exactly what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-Wireless-Extender-ERB300H/dp/B00ARJHEOY
    Jonathan VanSchaack
    Managing Director
    Remly Communications - Total Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers, Boston Colocation, Reseller Hosting, VDS/VPS, Web Design, and Full Server Management

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo