1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Connecting two PCs through ethernet

I would very much appreciate some pointers on this:

I have in the past, connected two computers (among other devices) using the serial port and the USB port. but have never used ethernet

I looked for video tutorials on this but I only find how to connect the two PCs, use the ping command to check if they are connected and that is where the tutorials finish!!!

what I want to know is how can I do something similar to what I do with serial ports in which I have some application that sends data through the port on one pc, and in the other pc for example the hyperterminal to see what data is being sent.

How can I do something like this with an ethernet cable???

Thanks a lot for the help!

Kansai
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The communication model used for network communication is significantly more complicated than the model used for a serial port or USB, primarily because the focus of a network connection is not point to point communication between two machines.

There are hundreds of different applications and protocols that you can use to send data between the machines. What kind of data are you trying to send? Files?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    The communication model used for network communication is significantly more complicated than the model used for a serial port or USB, primarily because the focus of a network connection is not point to point communication between two machines.

There are hundreds of different applications and protocols that you can use to send data between the machines. What kind of data are you trying to send? Files?
    Thank you for the answer.

Actually I have an application (a black box whose workings I dont know) that is supposed to be sending packets of data (in C language that would be an structure containing address, data and size of data plus a checksum) through the cable.

What I want is to connect this to another computer and use some application to see the data coming from the first computer. Is this possible?

(I ve heard hypertherminal can be configurated for ethernet??)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Without knowing more about how the C program operates I really have no idea. Normally the program would interface with your operating system at the transport layer. Most applications would be using either TCP or UDP packets to communicate. Those you could examine using an application like Wireshark.

Theoretically the program could use the ethernet cable at a lower level, although lower levels are not normally used to send arbitrary program data. If it does use a lower level I really have no idea.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ad-hoc network?

this is possible with 2 wireless cards i have done it, but is possible with ethernet too

setup an ad-hoc network?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo