1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dns sever not responding, but I have internet

Maybe the wrong place being that I'm new here I figure it can't hurt to ask. I have a laptop that is giving me issues. It connects to the internet fine as a matter of fact I'm on it now. But it says I'm not connected to a network in the bottom right by the clock as well as if I go to network there is nothing listed not even my modem/router if I go to network map it does show the router/modem but has the error "dns sever is not responding" and I can't access any other pc's on the network. Any suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hey Manja, what version of Windows are you running; Vista, 7, or 8? Some steps you can try real quick:

1. Network & Sharing Center, try setting it to a "home" or "work" network and not public.

2. Verify you have the right DNS server entries listed.

3. On Network And Sharing Center, make sure Network Discovery is turned on.
  5. No Profile Picture

It's running Windows 7 pro, As far as changing the type of network it thinks it is I can't because there are not networks listed in the network and sharing center. I have tried both obtain automatically and 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220. I did just find out that apparently it is set to a public network when going to advanced sharing settings, I turned on network discovery. Still no luck.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It looks like you're directly connected to your cable or dsl modem; I say that because you're getting a public IP address. Please turn network discovery OFF on your laptop; we don't want it wide open on the net.

You can try updating your drivers for the network card. There's a lot of information out there about this issue with Windows 7. One the Microsoft forums some people have fixed it by creating a new user account, and the new user account doesn't have the problem; so they just move all their documents and things over to that account and delete the "corrupt" one.

Do you have an antivirus program running? Sometimes those can be the culprit as well.
  9. No Profile Picture

oh I love it, I tried to create a guest account just to see if it would work. It wouldn't even let me log into the guest account I created just flashed a black screen and went back to the log in page. This pc apparently has some major windows issues, I'm probably going to format it and reload everything. Thanks for your help anyhow.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo