1. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Dual router homenetwork setup

Hi, I'm at the point of going wireless, my current setup is:

1. ADSL Modem Router USR 8550 (ip address 192.168.1.1) connected with cable to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys router.
    2. Linksys Wireless Router BEFW1154 (ip address 192.168.1.2).
    3. Main Home PC connected with cable to one of the LAN ports on the router (ip address 192.168.1.3).

This setup is working fine for me, my home PC can surf the web.
    Then I added a laptop, connected it fine through WiFi to the linksys (which has DHCP enabled), it can ping both routers and, after adding 192.168.1.1 as static DNS in the dhcp server settings on Linksys the laptop can also resolve www.google.com to it's IP address.
    My problem is that the laptop can't surf the web and a ping to www.google.com gets a "destination network unreachable" answer, what shall I do? Is it a matter of routing tables?
    Thanks in advance for your help
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird

Solved by giving a fixed ip address to the laptop, still wondering why DHCP on wireless router (linksys) didn't work as expected ... Or should I have used the modem (usr8550) DHCP server?
  5. mod_dev_shed

What's the purpose of the Linksys router? is it to add the wireless capabilities?

If you want wired and wireless together on the same network/subnet, I would turn the modem's DHCP server off by setting it up to passthrough to the Linksys router. You would then wire from the modem to the WAN port of the Linksys. This effectively makes your modem a modem only and gives all the routing to the Linksys device.

The other option is to create two separate networks, one wired and one wireless. The wireless network would be able to connect to the internet but not to the other computers. Sometimes this is the desired advantage, other times that ruins what you're using the wireless network for.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  7. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird

Originally Posted by jharnois
    What's the purpose of the Linksys router? is it to add the wireless capabilities?
    Yes
    If you want wired and wireless together on the same network/subnet, I would turn the modem's DHCP server off by setting it up to passthrough to the Linksys router. You would then wire from the modem to the WAN port of the Linksys. This effectively makes your modem a modem only and gives all the routing to the Linksys device.
    That would be nice, can you please outline the steps (on the Linksys I think) to follow, or point me to a tutorial? DHCP on the modem is disabled now.
    The other option is to create two separate networks, one wired and one wireless. The wireless network would be able to connect to the internet but not to the other computers. Sometimes this is the desired advantage, other times that ruins what you're using the wireless network for.
    Probably more secure, but it doesn't seem to be what I want.
    Thank you for your help, I'm a real network illiterate
  9. mod_dev_shed

That would be nice, can you please outline the steps (on the Linksys I think) to follow, or point me to a tutorial? DHCP on the modem is disabled now.
    The connections should go like this: phone jack -> adsl modem : adsl modem -> linksys wan port : lan ports -> wired computers. You will need to go into the modem config, turn off DHCP and turn on "IP pass-through" (that's what it's called on mine). It can be difficult to find as it's usually in an advanced section. On my adsl modem, I can't even get to the advanced section w/o telling it to show those options first. Each modem will differ. However, you can tell this is working when the linksys router gets a non-internal IP address (eg, 65.129.X.X or similar). Once this is happening, just turn on the linksys' DHCP server and you should be all set.

"release and renew" is your friend during setup changes.

Comments on this post

• pabloj agrees : Thank you, I'll give a shot at it!
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo