1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ethernet Probs Please Help!

I am having a nightmare trying to set up my broadband connection! I bought a couple of budget network cards and installed them in a win2000 and win 98 computer. In the control pannel they seem to be working fine! But when I try to connect to the modem, oh no that's asking too much.

There are also 2 Mac's in the house both on osx and one of them works the other (same settings), you guessed it, doesn't work!

The IP address settings on the pc's are set to auto, so there should be no problem there. I get a 169.254.137.43 ip address and a 255.255.0.0 Subnet mask. Which apparently is not good. It appears not to be either as it doen't work. Pinging websites fails to, can't find host. I have tried everything I know and am compleatly stumped! Even the technical support at NTL don't seem to be able to help which leaves me thinking that it a hardware problem? But then why would one Mac work and the other not? Hummmm.

The network adapter I am using is in the pc's are: realtek RTL8139/810x Family fast Ethernet

Any help would great!

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

This can have a lot of causes....

Maybe your router is configured to only support one single client (enforced by your ISP maybe?).

169.254.*.* is the "if the DHCP server doesn't give me an IP, I'll dice one myself"-IP the microsoft way.

You should check your router config. It might cache the OSX machine's MAC (Media Access Code, not Macintosh ) and thus only deliver an IP to this single machine for several hours after the last reboot.

Only a guess though, as told above, this can have various reasons...

hth,
    M.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo