1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Extremely Poor Network Range

I can't figure this out...

I've been through three Wireless N routers, recently, an old Dlink replaced by an RT-N65U from Asus, and now using a DLink N600 and I still cannot get workable speeds in my garage. It is 1 floor away from where the router is located (the basement) and I used to have no problem. About a year ago I started running into problems and decided it was time for a new router.

2 routers later and either the signal is dropping constantly (N65U) or just BARELY pulling a connection, like less than 1 megabit per second on a freaking 35 m/bit/s PLUS connection (N600). It pulls 22 mbps sitting right next to the router. This is similar to what the wired connection gets.

It's not just the computer. I've tried with multiple laptops, USB wireless adapters, etc.

My first instinct would be to go 'intereference!!!' but there's no workable way to measure that, and I used to be able to surf the internet out there no problem. Now it's cripplingly slow, to the point where Google barely loads. Barely.

I'm at my wits' end. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions appreciated.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Have you already tried changing channels?
    Your OS can see what networks are available, even if you can't connect to them. At the very least you can see what there are available and if any of them conflict with yours.

Even better would be to get a smartphone app or a software program that gives you a more useful view of the networks and their strengths. Like I have Wifi Analyzer on my Android.
  5. No Profile Picture

I tried with my ASUS one to little effect but I'll do it again here and report back.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have seen bad signal issues caused by poorly configured dual band setups. Even thought you tried 3 different routers I will still check as a lot of newer wireless routers have this options.

Are they dual band? (IE: 2.4ghz and 5ghz). IF so sometimes when your computer tries to balance but cannot.

If this isn't the issue my other idea would be interference like you said. It is true this is hard to measure but there are some things you can check. Have you tried all 3 routers in the same outlet or power source? Sometimes power interference can cause issues on the device. Try testing in a different power source or even with a new surge protector or UPS.
  9. No Profile Picture

It is dual band. I switched the channel from 4 to 11 last night and it's shown improvement, roughly half the wired speed is what it gets out there now, not too bad. Moving the router slightly has yielded further performance gains (higher up).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I suggest not using the dual band setup (disabling dual) unless you have a specific wireless controller that can accept it. A lot of wireless adapters have issues switching back and forth as they were not designed for dual connections in mind.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by remcom
    I suggest not using the dual band setup (disabling dual) unless you have a specific wireless controller that can accept it. A lot of wireless adapters have issues switching back and forth as they were not designed for dual connections in mind.
    Yeah, none of my devices can actually utilize the 5Ghz spectrum. Any idea how to disable it?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Which device is it? Normally on the wireless settings you can choose the type of broadcasting. Sometimes "2.4/5, 2.4 only, 5 only" or something similar. If you need help just give the model number and I will try to find the manually and look it up.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by remcom
    Which device is it? Normally on the wireless settings you can choose the type of broadcasting. Sometimes "2.4/5, 2.4 only, 5 only" or something similar. If you need help just give the model number and I will try to find the manually and look it up.
    Right, found it. It's a DLINK N600 and it was right under the manual wireless setup option. Will report back with results.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo