1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help best way to Network 8 computers

Network help!!!

Ok I have 8 computers*
    2 computer will have a camera attached to it importing photos as they are being shot. (2 photo stations) Trick is I need to transfer all photos taken in real time to the remaining 6 computers at the same time.*
    What is the best way to do this and what software to export all photos to the six computers.*

I'm running windows 7. I set this up as a home group but it was really slow. When I tried to use a network printer it would freeze the network?*

Help?
  3. No Profile Picture

you can probably use the robocopy command, but dunno how to make it work in a loop... (somekind of "timewait" command perhaps?)

ROBOCOPY \\pc1\pics \\pc2\backup *.JPG /E

or if you have mapped network drives?:
    ROBOCOPY M:\pics N:\backup *.JPG /E
    the command itself should sync the files - eg.- it will skip the existing ones?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by screenshot
    you can probably use the robocopy command, but dunno how to make it work in a loop... (somekind of "timewait" command perhaps?)

the command itself should sync the files - eg.- it will skip the existing ones?

Thanks
    But I don't think this will monitor new files as the photos come in. Also all photos also need to be copied to 6 different computes so guest could access their photo on any computer.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Why don't you just setup a centralized storage solution that connects to your network (i.e., NAS); this way all computers can access the shared folder that stores all your photos? You can purchase one at most of your local electronic retail shops. You connect the NAS to your network, setup folders and enable everyone to access them, problem should be solved.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    Why don't you just setup a centralized storage solution that connects to your network (i.e., NAS); this way all computers can access the shared folder that stores all your photos? You can purchase one at most of your local electronic retail shops. You connect the NAS to your network, setup folders and enable everyone to access them, problem should be solved.
    Should I do a NAS or a Server?
    What could be the printer fix? It tends to freeze when more than one computer tries to print at the same time. (Network Printer)
    This is how I currently have it set up. I have 2 Computers with cameras attached that takes the photos and sends them to PC1 (My Server Computer AMD E2-3200 dual-core processor 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3-1333MHz / Windows 7) the server computer also has the network printer attached. Each photo is about 300K-500K size. Different photo is transfer every 15 seconds. The server computer is also connected to the other 5 Computers. The guest goes to one of the computers, scans a card and their photo pops up which is located on the server computer, they also have an option to print the photo. The problem is when the guests scans their card the photo is very slow to pull up ( about 15-20 seconds ) Second is when they hit print it freezes up sometimes for up to 2 minutes. I connected as a home group and first did connection wireless then connect everything through an Ethernet cord which speed it just a little not much. Ethernet cord (cat 5) is the only way to go correct?
    Any recommendations?
    I'm running windows 7. I set this up as a home group but it was really slow. When I tried to use a network printer it would freeze the network?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What make/model is your printer? 300-500KB in size isn't that big, but if several guests try to print at once it may be causing issues. It's kind of hard to say without seeing it in action; there are a lot of variables. Taking 15-20 seconds for a scan to show up is normal if you're using a fairly basic scanner. When you say they scan their card what exactly do you mean?

Some things you can check, is everything connected to a switch or a hub (it should say this on the device). Are all of the PCs wireless or wired (sounds like wired). How is everything hooked up for that matter? How much free space is on the C: drive of the "server" (I'm assuming that's where the pictures are going)?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo