1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help connecting wireless router to new VLAN

Hi all. I'm pretty new to this, out IT company made a new VLAN out of our router, this VLAN is good for only 3 ports. The VLAN was not DHCP at first.

I then connected and configured a wireless router connected to one of those ports + 2 wireless repeaters. The router was making the DHCP. I had to manually configure my router (Static IP). So the router had a 10.51.200.10 IP and was giving IP to wireless devices from 192.168.10.100 to 192.168.10.200. Everything worked fine.

Then we had to let the main wired router do the DHCP. The IT company configured it so when we connect directly through it, we get an IP in the range of 10.51.200.50 to 10.51.200.100. But now, we can't connect anymore wirelessly. At first, I changed nothing at the wireless router, and it did not work. I can connect to it, change the config from his internal IP (192.168.10.1), but can't access Internet at all, and nothing too if I connect through the wireless wired ports.

I tried changing the router to not do DHCP (192.168.10.100 to 192.168.10.200), but I was unable to connect at all wirelessly and I had to manually enter IP address if I connected with a wire. I tried to set connection type from Static (previous 10.51.200.10) to DHCP, the router rebooted, and I was still unable to connect.

The router is a TRENDnet TEW-692GR (http://www.trendnet.com/langen/produ...-692GR&cat=157 ), there's an emulator of the admin page : http://www.trendnet.com/emulators/TE...adm/status.htm.

I can't figure out how to configure him to make it properly, someone has ideas?

Thanks in advance!
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ok, so first let me say this, you really should only have 1 device doing DHCP. Not that you cannot have multiples, but the right way to do is is to have one. (That can be expanded on size, but if you're under say 2,000 devices, 1 should suffice plenty.)

That being said, I think the problem might be in the way you have VLANs set up. I don't know for sure without digging deeper into your network, but it's a good place to start. I'll give out a few pointers and we can go from there:

- Each network (unique subnet complete with address range and subnet mask) needs to have its own router.
    - Routers are used to *route* packets between two (or more) networks
    - VLANs, by definition, will be a unique network (complete with IP range and subnet mask.)
    - VLANs can go across Layer 2 devices (Switches) but not across Layer 3 devices (routers).
    -Typically, you should only need one Layer 3 device in a small network (maybe a second for redundancy, but not to handle different parts within the same network.

Does that help? Can you draw a picture (sorry, I'm more of a visual learner) of what's going on? I can draw one back at you for what I think it should look like.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo