1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Need Help: ethernet over power line issue

I'm having an issue with connecting my Directv receiver to my router using HomePlug adapter. Current setup and issues:

Motorola cable modem <- Asus RT-N56U <- HomePlug adapter <- home electrical lines <- HomePlug adapter <- Directv HD DVR.

I have these items wired directly to the Asus router:
    NAS server
    HomePlug adapter
    Enlighten solar array interface

Everything else is connected via Wifi to the Asus router.
    Problem: My neighbor and I both have solar panels on our roofs with Enlighten interfaces connected to our respective networks. My next door neighbor has a Homeplug adaptor for his Enlighten because the signal strength is to weak to plug the Enlighten directly into his router in the room that his router is located. When I connect my Directv receiver with the HomePlug, his entire network was bridging over onto mine, and choking my connection to the internet. I tried setting a MAC filter to only allow my devices to get on my network. This kept his devices off my network, but it didn't stop my devices from going onto his to access the internet. This is a problem for many reasons, including his connection speed (3mbps versus my 20mbps), security, etc. Are there any settings I can apply to my Asus router to keep my devices on my network and my neighbor's on his? There is also the issue of not being able to log into my router. Since routers generally default to 192.168.1.1, when I try to log into my router while the HomePlug is connected to my router, it takes me to his router instead of mine. I tried setting my router to 192.168.1.2, but that is when my devices ignored my router and bridged over to his network. Please Help!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Some homeplugs will allow you to setup security on them so your network doesny bleed over and vice versa.
  5. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Change your router to something like 192.168.2.1 so it's on a different IP network. Routers are usually set up as a /24, so 1.0 through 1.255 are the same network. Putting yours on 2.0 or anything higher should separate things, IP wise.

Since you can't break the physical connection between the networks, you'll probably have to hardcode all of the IPs, gateways, etc. of your devices to be on the 2.0 network. Since the physical connections are still there, there's always the possibility that his router will answer DHCP requests first and assign your devices to his network.

I don't know of any way to fix the security issue, though, since you're on the same "network" or power lines. He'll always be able to sniff your packets off the electrical lines, and vice versa. You'll compete with each other for "air time" on the electrical lines, too, possibly resulting in slower access for both of you.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the insight

Thanks for the quick replies and insight. I looked into changing the security settings on the HomePlug devices and it requires me to have Windows to load the drivers that allow security changes, which I don't have at this time. As for changing the network address to 192.168.2.1, I'm going to give that a go along with manually assigning addresses, etc. It will be a bit of a pain doing all of that for 12 devices, but if it works it will be cheaper than having to get Windows installed on my Mac. I'll provide an update after it works/doesn't work. Thanks again!
  9. Banned (not really)

If the homeplugs allow changing the frequency or channel they operate on, that may work, too.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Don't listen to Sepodati, he's been banned.
  13. Banned (not really)

Never trust a guy who hasn't been banned at least once.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I was looking into MOCA today on google, and stumbled on a post somewhere where the poster said don't plug your powerline networking units into a power strip, plug them directly in the wall. Apparently the filters in some power strips interfere with the network signal over the powerline.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    I was looking into MOCA today on google, and stumbled on a post somewhere where the poster said don't plug your powerline networking units into a power strip, plug them directly in the wall. Apparently the filters in some power strips interfere with the network signal over the powerline.
    Yeah, that's true. my setup has a wall adaptor and then a surge protector with an ethernet outlet pass through built in.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo