1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help improve my wifi signal please

Hi everyone, I have some problems getting a good wifi signal at some places in my home and outside. I have a good router and good gear, but it doesn't do that much.

Let me start by saying what I have;

- Router : Asus RT-AC66U

- Router is running Merlin build (version 3.0.0.4.372.31) of the official ASUS firmware

- I have normally between 20 to 30 devices connected to the router everyday (smartphones, tablets, XBOX, PS3, Media streamers, laptops, workstations, etc.) Is that too much?

- I replaced the original antennas with 2 Alfa 9dBi antennas : http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00328913Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, are those good antennas?

- I replaced the middle antenna with the Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna : http://www.amazon.com/Asus-WL-ANT-157-Antenna/dp/B005UBNJ48/ref=pd_cp_pc_2 and pointed it towards my weakest home links

- Router has WPA2 personnal AES security and is runnung on dual band, no guest network configured. I almost did nothing special in configuration except some reserved DHCP.

Here is a schema of my home and where is my WiFi router : http://www.ftpservice.ca/homewifi.jpg

As you can see, my router is on the floor and at one end of the house. I know I should place it near center of the house and up in the air, but I can't.

My house is only 28 x 40 feets, but I get weak signals on the other end of my house, about 65/75 dBm, which translates to 5-10Mbps. With the hardware I have and changes I made, I should get better signal and speed than this, no?

I tried moving the antennas, nothing changed. The newly, more powerful antennas didn't change that much, in fact, I didn't see a significant change with my 3 new antennas.

I have a 2.4Ghz phone but it's almost 20 feets away of the router. There's another one about 5 feet away, but there's a wall between them (Living room vs Room 1), the cordless 2.4 Ghz phone is attached to the Room 1 wall, could it be this?

Can I use a kind of extender cable for my antennas to place them higher and nearer the center of my house without moving the router?

Is there any new advices??

Thanks a lot
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hey ExportA, what is the straight line distance from the router to where your devices get a weak signal? Also, what physical barriers is the signal passing through (i.e., drywall, brick, solid wood, glass, etc...)?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Did you consider to increase connectivity with hotspot or repeaters, adapters, they are good for large network.

Such small distance, it must work.
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

What tool did you use to test the signal?
    Have you tried with different Wi-Fi channels?

How will it be if you, for testing purpose, placed the router near the corner where you have the text "router location" on the first picture?

Had a similar issue with my old router, especially when all doors was clsoed.
    But after i bought a router similar to your (another ASUS model) the signal was a lot better.
    One thing is the signal, how does fell in the internet speed in a browser?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo