1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with Internet Connection Sharing

Hey.
    I have been trying to set up ICS with just 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop.
    If it is only 2 comps I assume I can avoid buying a hub or a switch?
    I have set my working internet connection on my #1 NIC to share, and I have run a crossover cable from my #2 NIC to my laptop's NIC.
    I have tested the continuity of my cable and I think I have some wires severed, which is probably why it says "network cable unplugged"
    So before I go out and get a new cable, I was wondering what settings to use and how to get ICS set up.
    I am pretty new to networking so I was wondering if I have to manually set IPs, Gateways, DHCP, subnet masks and DNS servers or if I could set everything to auto.
    I was also wondering if I could use a normal Cat5 cable with a crossover adapter?
    Desktop - Windows XP Home Ed and two Realtek RTL8139/810X Ethernet PCI NIC.
    Laptop - Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 9.1 dual boot and one SiS 900 Ethernet NIC
    Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by pinglocalhost; October 19th, 2003 at 04:12 AM.
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have been trying to set up ICS with just 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop.
    OK
    If it is only 2 comps I assume I can avoid buying a hub or a switch?
    Yes; just run a crossover cable between the NIC's.
    I have tested the continuity of my cable and I think I have some wires severed, which is probably why it says "network cable unplugged"
    Probably, yes. Make sure your cable works properly.
    So before I go out and get a new cable, I was wondering what settings to use and how to get ICS set up.
    Try asking in the Windows forum. Or maybe someone in this forum has an idea about how to do this in Windows. Any takers?
    I am pretty new to networking so I was wondering if I have to manually set IPs
    Unless you have a DHCP server, you will have to manually assign IP addresses. Just pick two in the 192.168 range and use those.
    Gateways,
    You will only need one gateway; set it to the IP of the machine with the internet connection.
    DHCP,
    Ignore this if you don't have a DHCP server
    subnet masks
    On a small network like yours, 255.255.255.248 will work fine.
    and DNS servers
    Set these to your ISP's DNS resolvers.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hey thanks a lot, that really helped.
    But just two more questions, if I may:
    1. Could I use a normal cable with a crossover adapter?
    2. Do I set the gateway of my #2 NIC in my desktop (there are two connections in my Network Connections) to the IP of my working internet connection (81.100.108.xxx), and then set the gateway of my laptop's NIC to my #2 NIC (192.168.xxx.xxx) ?
    Or maybe something simillar to this?
    Sorry to be a simpleton, lol.
    Thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo