1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help needed in network configuration

[IMG]h t t p://s8.postimage.org/gieqtsm0x/Net_Diagram.jpg[IMG]

Hi,

I have the scenario as shown in the figure.

Problem-1 :-
    I am able to access the internet on my PC-2 via WiFi connection using Alpha Adapter.
    I want to have Internet access on my Laptop too.. The laptop is having an inbuilt wifi adapter, but it cant get signals from the router.
    (The router is around 100-120 meters far)

Problem-2 :-
    Is is possible to share files between Laptop & Pc-1 via the Wifi AP?
    Or is it possible to do remote login to PC-1 from the Laptop?

I have admin access for all the three computers.

Thanks for any Suggestions.
  3. Contributing User

Problem-1 :-
    The laptop is having an inbuilt wifi adapter, but it cant get signals from the router.
    (The router is around 100-120(300feet) meters far)
    Most likely your router is broadcasting ssid, So if your laptop can't see the routers signal when you search for available networks then you want be able to connect to it.
    Problem-2 :-
    Is is possible to share files between Laptop & Pc-1 via the Wifi AP?
    Yes after you are able to connect both to the router.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by spacebar208
    Most likely your router is broadcasting ssid, So if your laptop can't see the routers signal when you search for available networks then you want be able to connect to it.
    Yes after you are able to connect both to the router.
    Thanks for the reply.

Actually the router is not broadcasting the ssid, coz i have configured it not to broadcast. I am using "WPA-Personnel with TKIP" as security in it.
    Since i know all the details, i configured the same details in my PC-2 and Laptop.. but PC-2 is getting the signals as it is having the powerful ALPHA adapter while the Laptop is rarely getting very very poor signals.

Question 1 :-
    Since the PC-2 is getting good signals from router.. is it not possible to share its Internet with the Laptop?
    (By connecting the Laptop to the PC-2 via Ethernet or WiFi)

Question 2 :-
    Ok.. even if Laptop is not able to connect to the router, then also since PC-2 is connected with the router.. is it possible to share the files between PC-2 and PC-1 via the router?? if yes then how?

Thanks.
  7. Contributing User

Question 1 :-
    Since the PC-2 is getting good signals from router.. is it not possible to share its Internet with the Laptop?
    (By connecting the Laptop to the PC-2 via Ethernet or WiFi)

Yes, You will need to setup a ad-hoc connection on PC-2, goggle "how to setup a adhoc connection"
    Question 2 :-
    Ok.. even if Laptop is not able to connect to the router, then also since PC-2 is connected with the router.. is it possible to share the files between PC-2 and PC-1 via the router?? if yes then how?

Yes, See if you can ping pc-2 from pc-1 and vice versa, if so, then click on start, then run, and try: \\pc-2 from pc-1, you might need to setup some shares on each pc.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by spacebar208
    Yes, You will need to setup a ad-hoc connection on PC-2, goggle "how to setup a adhoc connection"

Yes, See if you can ping pc-2 from pc-1 and vice versa, if so, then click on start, then run, and try: \\pc-2 from pc-1, you might need to setup some shares on each pc.
    Thanks again for the reply.
    I will try those things and will let you know the results.
  11. No Profile Picture

problem1

problem 1
    i think the distance is the problem why you cant access the internet from your laptop .

problem 2

yes you can share files via wifi ap in your win7 pc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo