1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with PPTP VPN connection

Hi there. I have an ASUS RT-AC66U router, I've configured it to be able to connect by VPN (PPTP).

I've tried to connect with my laptop at the job and it doesn't work, I've tried also with my smartphone from the wireless at the job and it doesn't work either (Galaxy S3). But when I disconnect from Wireless and go with my data plan, I'm connecting without an issue.

I haven't tried it with my laptop on another wireless access, but, is it possible that my job firewall or something else is preventing me to connect by VPN to my home? I've read somewhere about port 1723 must be open, but I didn't understand quite well. Can my job firewall be blocking outgoing port 1723? That would explain why I can connect with my smartphone data plan.

I'm able to connect with my phone, so I'm guessing my home setup is not the issue, am I right?

Thanks for your help.
  3. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If your phone works over mobile connection, but not wireless, then your problem is the wireless. It sounds like your work network is not configured to allow pass through of VPN traffic. This is pretty common. Your network admin at work would need to open port 1723 as well as GRE.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ok, thanks, I will tell him to open up the port.

What is GRE?

And is port 1723 open by default on standard wireless routers? I mean, if I go to my aunt, will it work if she touched anything or port 1723 is usually blocked on router and we have to open it?

Thanks for your help.
  7. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ExportA
    Ok, thanks, I will tell him to open up the port.

What is GRE?

And is port 1723 open by default on standard wireless routers? I mean, if I go to my aunt, will it work if she touched anything or port 1723 is usually blocked on router and we have to open it?

Thanks for your help.
    It depends on the router, modem, and ISP. Each have their own default settings for whether the port is open or closed. Typically it will be open everywhere except the router by default.

GRE is a protocol used for PPTP transport. You will need to enable it in your router. This setting is typically called "VPN Passthru" or something similar.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo