1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Home Ethernet Network

I am a complet beginner with networks, and am trying to network 2 home pc's. Both use XP, both have PCI ethernet cards, and they are directly connected with CAT5 utp. Should this work? I keep getting conflicting answers from people. All I get is "media disconnected"................Help please!
  3. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Directly connecting two PCs requires a cross-over ethernet cable (this is not your "regular" ethernet). You can get them at your major stores, but I recommend a smaller store b/c you will pay a fraction of the price (I paid $5 for mine at local small store compared to $20 at Best Buy).
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  5. No Profile Picture

or

You can also unplug the cable, cut it in half and then connect the wires the following way:

White/Green to White/Orange
    Green to Orange
    White/Orange to White/Green
    Orange to Green

The Brown and blue pairs are not used and don't even need to be connected.

Try to have the total splice length less than 1/2 inch.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Many thanks

I really wanted to have a proper ethernet network, so before I cut the wires and try that, would I be better advised to buy a hub and cable (what cable?) and do it that way?
  9. No Profile Picture

Better or worse

A switch (4 port switches are available) is better than a hub. But if you are only going to have to devices, a hub is not necessary. If you plan to have more than 2 a hub or switch is mandatory. I've used most switches and hubs available and there is little difference at the SOHO end.

A crossover cable is required for 2 machines directly connected, otherwise, use a straight thru cable. They come in 2 flavors 568A and 568B. One is as good as the other, and they can be mixed in the same network; no matter what Cina says (just in case she's reading).
  11. No Profile Picture

Many thanks. Bought an 8 port switch. I'll see how I get on!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo