Thread: Home Networking

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Home Networking

I have a home network set up using Win XP. XP is on 2 computers, ME on another one. I also have ICS setup. The problem is this: we do fine when we are all surfing the net. Whenever I boot up a game, my wife, while still connected to the network, cannot surf the web. I turn off the game, she can surf. It is a major irritation. We have a local ISP, but use MSN 8 to surf, etc. What is really frustrating, the whole thing worked perfectly just last week. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. My computer is the one that connects to the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
  3. Big Daddy
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

When you play a game, does she get NO internet, or just internet so slow that she turns it off and doesn't bother? My guess is that the game is using so many system resources that ICS essentially vomits due to lack of power and she gets terrible performance. Other than that, it sounds weird to me.

Chris
    Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The game is Max Payne 2 .... it might just be a system hog. I think you might have something there. I was able to open one or two web pages while the game was running, but very slowwwwwly. I'll see what I can do about tweaking the game...but what confuses me is, I have run heavy duty games before (Medal of Honor, Max Payne 1, etc) and not had this problem. Thanks for the response.

Darren
  7. Big Daddy
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Anytime. Welcome to DevShed, by the way. Yeah, watch your Task Manager while running the game. If you have to, lower the CPU priority of the game. Lemme know if I can further help.

Chris
    Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo